Re: Cellular Phone Harassment from '555-555-1212'

Dear Mr. Townson:

> I have been receiving calls on my cell phone and the caller id is > 15555551212 but there is no one on the phone when I pick up. I try to > call back to that number and it is not a good number. There is no > area code of 555. If any one knows what this and how to stop it > please let me know at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com . > Thank you very much! > Dale

This is almost definitely a scofflaw telemarketer calling from a PRI line. By using a PRI line, can set the caller ID to be whatever he wants.

You answer and get no-one on the other end because he is using a predictive dialer -- a computer dials the numbers, and connects the calls to people in the telemarketing call center only when the call is answered on your end. If no one is available in the call center to take the call, when you answer you get the classic "no one there when I answer" effect -- you just hear dead air.

Unfortunately, short of having the cell provider put a trap on the line, you are NOT going to be able to track this down.

Reply to
T. Sean Weintz
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.