Re: Caller ID Showing Which Calling Card Used???

Chris Farrar wrote

>> Clearly Bell is now putting the "billing number" for the calling >> card through as Caller ID. >> Are any other phone companies doing this? > I doubt it is a "billing number" and probably isn't directly related > to the originator of the call at all. I've used prepaid cards from > AT&T for about 5 years now. The CID that shows for calls I make comes > from various places around the country: Denver, Dallas, San Francisco, > etc. I assume that the 800 number I call to start the process > actually routes to whatever AT&T center is the least busy at the > moment and the CID number comes from there.

The original poster's writing was a bit vague, but I got the impression he was talking about a calling card that was actually part of his main landline phone service.

I know that some of the Bells, some of the time ... did, indeed, send over the CNID of the home telephone/account number in the Bad Old Days. But it's been a decade, or longer, since I've used or had any friends using them, so have no idea how long this lasted.

(We looked into this option about five years ago for corporate use - we wanted people to be able to call out from home or offsite or at lunch.. and have the CNID show their work number. Think, oh, a teacher or doctor calling from home. We weren't able to find anyone set up for this.)

There are some folk _today_ who'll reset the CNID for you to whatever you wish when you make the call. Check out, for example,

formatting link
(no connection with them aside from having tested their service).

_____________________________________________________ Knowledge may be power, but communications is the key snipped-for-privacy@panix.com [to foil spammers, my address has been double rot-13 encoded]

Reply to
Danny Burstein
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.