update on TeleTrap from TelTech Systems [telecom]

background: This company lets users of _some_ cellular phones, when receiving a "blocked-CNID" call, hit a few buttons, and then, through some magic, the CNID appears.

I've just duplicated the probable sequence using my own cellphone, (without using TelTech) and yes, I was able to get the "blocked" CNID to appear.

The trick, so to speak, is two fold:

a: when you "bounce" or "forward" a call aimed at a cellphone (at least of some companies), that second call is treated by the phone network, in many aspects, as a brand new one from the original caller - but this time to the third party. Hence the CNID is transmitted (unless blocked) to that third party.

b: calls to "toll free" numbers such as "1-800" _do_ pass along the CNID even when "blocked". (ok, often it's ANI rather than CNID, but the concept is the same).

So... I set up my cell phone to bounce (when I hit a key) the calls to my own toll free number [a], which routed to my landline. I then made some tests.

First, calling my cellphone using a "blocked" CNID (by prepending the "*67) did, as expected, get me a "private call" (that is, no CNID) on the display.

I then made another blocked call to the cellphone, which, as before, got a "private" flag. I "bounced" the call to my tollfree number, which routed to my landline. And eyup, a couple of seconds later my landline rang _and_ it displayed the CNID.

Finally, I reset my tollfree number to route to my cellphone. I wasn't sure whether I could "bounce" a call from my cellphone, out to the tollfree number, and then back to my cellphone.

It worked. When I called my cellphone (again, with a blocked CNID), the initial display said "private". I hit the "bounce" key, it routed out _and back_ through the tollfree vendor, and eyup, I got to see the CNID.

[a] I use "kall8" as my "tollfree" supplier. Their rates are decent, although not the greatest. Their key advantage is their realtime web-based control page, letting you designate the "real" number the tollfree one routes to with just a few clickthroughs. They also have very good management options - such as deciding which areas can get through to you and which should be blocked, also via that real time interface.

Oh, and the calls I made immediately showed up on their web page, and the billing info also appeared in my e-mail inbox a moment later. This included the CNID...

No other connection with them except as a satisfied customer. _____________________________________________________ Knowledge may be power, but communications is the key snipped-for-privacy@panix.com [to foil spammers, my address has been double rot-13 encoded]

***** Moderator's Note *****

Privacy, like spam, is an arms race. The US/Canada phone system uses a "Payee wins" paradigm, where the company paying for the call gets to know which number dialed it even if the caller doesn't like that; ergo, toll-free numbers pass along ANI info.

In the future, however, we might change to a bidding model, where a caller can pay more for privacy than a recipient is willing to bid to know the number.

Bill Horne Temporary Moderator

Please put [Telecom] at the end of your subject line, or I may never see your post! Thanks!

We have a new address for email submissions: telecomdigestmoderator atsign telecom-digest.org. This is only for those who submit posts via email: if you use a newsreader or a web interface to contribute to the digest, you don't need to change anything.

Reply to
danny burstein
Loading thread data ...

That will -never- happen. For one simple reason -- if the paying party cannot tell where _both_ endpoints of the call are, they cannot tell if they are being charged properly for the call. Making it impossible to tell if (read as "how much" to be more accurate :-\\ ) they are being overcharged by their "carrier of choice".

There's a _reason_ that an entire industry exists for 'auditing' phone bills for accuracy.

***** Moderator's Note *****

I wasn't talking about the mileage-sensitive part of the _call_, but rather about the idea of bidding on the charge for knowing or concealing the identity of the caller, which is a simple process that could be handled with SS7 datagrams during call setup.

The process would be simple:

a. Originating end sends bid for privacy with call originate message b. Terminating end sends binary decision and amount to charge/credit c. Call proceeds normally.

Bill Horne Temporary Moderator

Please put [Telecom] at the end of your subject line, or I may never see your post! Thanks!

We have a new address for email submissions: telecomdigestmoderator atsign telecom-digest.org. This is only for those who submit posts via email: if you use a newsreader or a web interface to contribute to the digest, you don't need to change anything.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

I think this is *TOO* simple. It doesn't contain any provision for aborting the call at the request of the loser of the bid (whichever end that is).

Reply to
Gordon Burditt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.