Premium Service [telecom]

I have a problem. It's small, it's not going to endanger anyone's life if I don't solve it, and it's becoming an obsession.

My VPN stopped working a couple of weeks ago.

I'm the guy people depend on to keep things running, and they come and get me every time anything doesn't. Sometimes, a Friday just goes blazing by, and there's nothing to do but log in from home and do my backups by remote control.

Now, I can't.

Rest at:

formatting link

Bill Copyright (C) 2013 E.W. Horne. All Rights Reserved.

Reply to
Bill Horne
Loading thread data ...

Hi Bill,

If your problem started right around the time the clocks were changed for daylight savings the problem might be as simple as making sure the hardware doing the VPN is set to the same clock as the office machine you are trying to connect to.

If the either end changed it's clock to daylights savings time but the other end did not the link would fail to come up for most VPN's. Usually they have to be within a couple of minutes of each other or the security parts shuts down the link.

Some outfits set all VPN hardware to use GMT time while the rest pick some other value like the local time at the company headquarters.

If possible look at a log at the office machine VPN/router or ask your IT person what timezone and other settings are being used there and match that at your house machine.

Updates on firewall, anti-virus programs, and especially Microsoft OS can certainly cause a port or two to get blocked. That is why I like to keep an image copy of a PC that's over a year old so I can test with that image. If it works to the office but my present system refuses then I know the problem is with my PC and one of it's updates.

I'm sure others more qualified will pop up with the actual fix should if nothing here helps fix things for you.

Reply to
news

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.