POTS Announcing Hardware -- What's It Called? [Telecom]

I'm trying to figure out what to call the hardware that takes an audio feed and puts it out on multiple POTS lines. The equipment has hardware that talks to each line independently, answers the call, takes the audio and puts it out onto the phone line, and times out after X number of minutes, drops the call when the caller hangs up, etc.

I can't buy the equipment if I don't know what it's called. I'm not really talking about voice cards such as Dialogic cards, but a self- contained unit such as Automation Electronics of Oakland used to make.

Anyone?

And vendor recommendations?

Reply to
David Kaye
Loading thread data ...

In the simplest sense, you're looking for a call sequencer or a Multi-Line digital announcer. They are getting harder to find because many of the newer phone systems have that capability built-in.

You buy them by the number of ports required and features needed. For example. If your doing this for a church so shut-in's could listen to a Sunday service, a Viking 6-port unit with barge-in would probably handle it. However, an NCH Software Broadwave would do it for tons less, even to users with dial-up internet access.

I think the problem you're going to find is a reasonable system that plays a message and times out after x minutes. Your sticker shock is about $4K for a bare bones 12-port Viking with thin statistics and no timeout and $1K for a 4 port DL4 from another vendor.. Compare that to a Sub $1K add in to a Panasonic PBX, or a $2k voice mail/auto attendant sytem, and you can see why it's not being offered by many companies.

Some vendors to check out

formatting link
formatting link
Carl

Reply to
Carl Navarro

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.