outdoor phone booth - photo [telecom]

An article in the Phila Inqr described the closing of a classic diner. In the accompanying photograph of the building there is an outdoor traditional metal Verizon phone booth. Today, finding pay phones is hard enough, but finding a phone booth is extremely rare. Years ago the telephone companies converted from full booths to walk- up kiosks, both inside and out. Some old buildings still have the true classic wooden phone booths in their lobbies--complete with the little seat, table, light, and fan.

see:

formatting link
on photo to enlarge. The story about the diner is interesting, too.)

Diners often had a battery of pay telephones, usually near the restrooms, to serve customers. To me, it seemed when the 'cocots' came out many diners were quick to switch to them.

I know some diners still have a bank of Verizon payphones in them. I wonder if such diners must make up a shortfall if the payphones don't generate enough revenue--I doubt today the payphones get much use, especially when there are several of them.

Many small luncheonettes had semi-public payphones as their only phone line. There was a payphone for the public, and an blanked-dial extension to the business to answer the phone. The payphone would have a lift-up plastic tab over the coin slot "listen if phone is in use". I wonder if such arrangements still exist, if so, at an affordable tariff. (Sometimes the phone company will continue to offer an old fashioned service but charge a very high rate for it making it uneconomical for most businesses or homes to retain the service.)

Would anyone accurately know what the monthly charge would be to have a payphone from Verizon that does not cover its costs?

Would anyone accurately know what Verizon or other major companies charge as a minimum for a business line to a small business (including all the "fees" and "taxes")?

Thanks.

Reply to
Lisa or Jeff
Loading thread data ...

In one of the more recent Superman movies, there is an emergency. Clark Kent runs to a payphone, only to discover that it's free-standing, not a booth. He has a disappointed look on his face, and runs somewhere else to change his costume.

Reply to
Richard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.