Order Sushi Like a Native, and Know What You're Eating [telecom]

Order Sushi Like a Native, and Know What You're Eating

By BOB TEDESCHI June 8, 2011

Want to take someone down a notch? Take them to a sushi bar and ask them to order. Even sushi fans face a moment of uncertainty when a server who is clearly fluent in Japanese addresses the table. Novices have it even worse.

Did you just order the salmon or another bottle of sake? Will that tuna come with rice or will it appear as a solitary slab on a plate? And was it maguro tuna or toro tuna? (You'll know when the bill comes.)

Mobile apps can solve these mysteries, while also helping you avoid the contempt of the sushi chef and staff who lack the time to explain every item on the menu while the rest of the restaurant beckons.

If you're a casual sushi eater, you're best downloading free apps like Guide to Sushi or Sushipedia from the Apple App Store, or Japanese Sushi Guide & Quiz and SuShi for Android devices. For a nominal price, SushiGuru ($1 on Apple), SushiMonger ($2 on Apple) and SushiTime ($2 on Apple) offer even better experiences.

The free Apple apps are more polished than the ones for Android devices, but that should come as little surprise to Android users who've ever caught a peek at a friend's iPhone.

formatting link

***** Moderator's Note *****

It's fish. Go buy a pole.

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
Monty Solomon
Loading thread data ...

I do not understand why I should care about the "contempt of the sushi chief." I'm a customer, he's a salesman or craftsperson.

I have never had any urge to speak with a waiter in a foreign language. I am a customer, and if I am in an English-speaking area such as the U.S.A. I expect waiters and other people service customers in a business to speak the language of their customers.

I have no desire to match wits with a waiter. In this area I expect waiters in Mexican restaurants to speak English. I feel the same way with any vendor. It's not up to the customer to adapt to the business, but for the business to adapt to their customers' wants and needs.

Of course, I donm't have any reverence for restaurants that think they are high-toned, and I don't understand why a customer would be taken down a notch because they don't speak some language other than the language of the country in which they are located.

Wes Leatherock snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
Wes Leatherock

Poles may do fish, but not like the Japanese do :-) .

Cheers, -- tlvp

Reply to
tlvp

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.