On-screen Caller ID with Comcast VOIP? [telecom]

Just noticed on my latest Comcast bill (Silicon Valley/Palo Alto area) a blurb for a Comcast app that will supposedly display Caller ID in an on-screen pop-up window any time a VOIP call comes in.

Sounds like a clever and potentially useful gimmick -- but before I download and try it, I'd appreciate any feedback from existing users who can say:

• Does it work for Macs or only Windows systems?

• Does it work well?

• Any likely interference with other apps, or other glitches?

Thanks much for any advice.

Reply to
AES
Loading thread data ...

It pops up on the TeeVee screen; not the computer....

Reply to
David Lesher

It's called Universal Caller ID. It can also display on your TV.

Both.

You might want to ask in the Universal Caller ID forum at forums.comcast.net.

I don't have Comcast Digital Voice service, but a quick google for "comcast universal caller id" got me to this page:

formatting link

Reply to
Barry Margolin

I know Cox has this feature with their HD TV service. Pops up on the television screen.

To my knowledge nobody has any app for a computer that does the same. I'd really love to see something like that from Vonage though.

Reply to
T

We have AT&T and Dish, Caller ID pops up on our TVs since the Dish Receiver is connected to the phone line. It helps a lot since I tend to either not hear the phone ringing; 40+ years working in CO's and all the bells that were always ringing there.

Reply to
Steven

I believe that to be true only if your dial tone is provided by Cox.

Reply to
Sam Spade

As I read both the printed bill insert from Comcast and the Comcast web page, they have something that _does_ do this on your PC screen.

Haven't explored any further than that, however.

Reply to
AES

And Comcast only does it if they provide your dial tone. You also have to have one of the right models of HD STB.

Reply to
Barry Margolin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.