Netflix speeds on Verizon Wireless appear to be capped for some customers [telecom]

Netflix says it's not responsible for the arbitrary speed cap

by Chris Welch

With net neutrality fresh on the minds of many in the United States, it seems that the data speeds at which Verizon Wireless customers can stream Netflix videos have quietly been capped in some instances. A tipster directed /The Verge/ to this Reddit thread ...

... where numerous users have reported that they're unable to reach download speeds any faster than around 10Mbps when connecting to Netflix as well as Fast.com , a speed test tool that's powered by Netflix's servers. /The Verge/ has reached out to both Verizon and Netflix for comment. A Netflix spokesperson replied "We are definitely not capping data on our end and don't cap data for any mobile networks."

I'm a Verizon customer myself (on the current unlimited data plan) and my own tests seem to confirm that /something/ is going on. When running a Fast.com test, I'm hovering between 5Mbps and 10Mbps and never see anything higher. Jumping over to Ookla's Speed Test tool, I'm getting more typical and faster rates of around 40Mbps. Users at Howard Forums ...

... are also experiencing the cap, with some claiming that it's being applied to YouTube in addition to just Netflix.

formatting link

Bill Horne

(Remove QRM from my email address to write to me directly)

Reply to
Bill Horne
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.