N Carrier and Program transmission [Telecom]

I've just come across another old document that I hope will interest some of the readership: it's a treatise on how Program circuits (i.e., Radio and TV audio) were transported via "N" carrier.

formatting link
Bill Horne

Reply to
Bill Horne
Loading thread data ...

When I lived in GTE-land in the mid-1970s, the stepper was getting really tired especially for toll calls. The contiguous exchange to the west was Pacific Bell where a 1 ESS was fired up in 1975. In those days residential FX to a contiguous exchange was relatively inexpensive. So, I signed up and they rigged it up on N carrier. The quality was terrible. I had some good management contact by that time in the local GTE office. He got it redone to T carrier, and with proper supervision. It then was the "real deal."

Pacific Bell was also willing to let me have calling features. GTE balked, saying they wouldn't file to concur. They were always that way for the 10 years I lived there. But, with some heat from the PUC, coupled with the fact it was very short-sighted they relented in short order.

Tariffs and technical arrangements between GTE and Pacific Bell were quite interesting in those days. They fought tooth-and-nail just below the radar of the public.

Issues like foreign exchange service are all but gone with today's technology and the fact [that] time division, Stored-Program-Control end office switching has long since become ubiquitous.

***** Moderator's Note *****

The original link is now a 404: if any of the readers has a copy, please send it in and I'll post it on the Digest's web page. TIA.

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
Sam Spade

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.