Motorola Droid X cellphone self-destructs if modded [telecom]

I've heard of paranoia, but this ...

" Droid X actually self-destructs if you try to mod it " by Devin Coldewey on July 14, 2010 " " Well, I might have recommended a Droid X for big-phone-lovin' fandroids " out there ... but now that I've read about Motorola's insane eFuse " security system, I'm going to have to give this one a big fat DON'T " BUY on principle. I won't restate all my reasons for supporting the " modding, hacking, jailbreaking, and so on of your legally-owned products " here -- if you're interested in a user's manifesto, read this {link} " but suffice it to say that deliberately bricking a phone if the user " fiddles with it does not fall under the "reasonable" category of " precautions taken by manufacturers. " " Really. If you want to make it difficult to hack, that's fine. You think " your software should be enough, that's fine. But once I pay money for " the item, it's mine, and disabling my device because you don't like " what I'm doing with it falls under the category of sabotage. " " Here's what eFuse does. This information is a couple days old but it's " worth reading if you're interested in Android, development, or open " standards in general. Besides, I just found out about it, so you have to " read my words whether you like it or not. or you could just stop " reading. Either way. Anyway: " " If the eFuse failes to verify this information then the " eFuse receives a command to "blow the fuse" or "trip the " fuse". This results in the booting process becoming " corrupted and resulting in a permanent bricking of the " Phone. This FailSafe is activated anytime the bootloader is " tampered with or any of the above three parts of the phone " has been tampered with. " {article continues at the following URL}

Reply to
Thad Floryan
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.