Engineer Claims Consumer Reports iPhone 4 Reception Problem Study Is Flawed [telecom]

Engineer Claims Consumer Reports iPhone 4 Reception Problem Study Is Flawed

formatting link

Radio engineer: Consumer Reports iPhone 4 testing flawed (u)

formatting link

Reply to
Monty Solomon
Loading thread data ...

formatting link

formatting link
I call BS.

Both the above articles appear biased and have demonstrable errors (see below re: AnandTech and signal strength).

Regardless of the irrelevant signal strength bars (S/N would be a better display), the article from AnandTech whose URL I posted previously rips a new one for Apple by performing correct tests and confirming Consumer Reports' and 10000s' other experiences with the iPhone 4. An Apple RF engineer also reported the problem to Jobs who ignored it per:

The excellent multi-page AnandTech article can be read here for those who missed it the first time:

The AnandTech article also reveals the "Field Test" initiation code embedded within most cellphones (except those running iOS 4) and also reveals how to enable an iPhone 4 to display signal strength (among other things) per:

" Undeterred by the lack of field test on iOS 4, I was determined " to enable numeric signal strength reporting in the top left where " bars are normally displayed. If you've ever run a jailbroken iPhone " and used SBSettings, or changed your carrier string, you've probably " encountered the fact that iTunes will back up and restore the status " bar configuration across OS restores. See where I'm going? " " I took my iPhone 3GS, downgraded to 3.1.3, jailbroke, enabled numeric " WiFi and GSM and backed up. I then took my iPhone 4 and restored with " iOS 4, but pointed it to the backup of the jailbroken, " numeric-GSM-reporting iPhone 3GS. " [...]

Note the AnandTech article spans many pages; the URL cited above is only for page 2 regarding the antenna design and RF issues along with signal strength determination.

Reply to
Thad Floryan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.