Let it Ring? vs. "Answer on Hold"? [Telecom]

In "911, please hold", Lisa Hancock concluded:

In Bell System days, customer training was such that calls were not > supposed to be answered until the operator was ready to handle them. > Better to let it ring than answer "please hold".

In the 1970s, I can remember TSPS Operator systems would "answer" your call automatically and put it in "queue" if the system was overloaded, rather than letting it ring unanswered. There would be a recording indicating that all operators were busy, and to please call back later, UNLESS the call were an emergency or of some other "urgent" nature.

These days, I *PREFER* to at least be answered and put "on hold", either manually or automatically, rather than having the connection "ring" unceasingly! At least you *KNOW* that you are "in their system" (unless their system even does "this" when the offices are also closed).

As for the 911 Center... even if they just "let it ring", it would have still delayed responding to the caller; same as "answering on hold". Six-of-one, half-dozen-of-another, I suppose.

Another reason I prefer any type of call center or whatever to at least "answer on hold", specifically radio talkshow call-in lines, when you are competing against others to try to call-in, is that THESE days, virtually ALL long distance carriers (I do know AT&T, VZB/MCI, and Sprint at least), will TERMINATE a call attempt if the connection hasn't been "answered" within one minute by the called-party. The carriers feel that they shouldn't let a caller "tie-up" a trunk for too long without being charged, since he carrier STILL must pay a fee to the local telcos on BOTH ends for the use of their networks. Most cellular companies and even many local (landline) telcos' swiches will similarly "disconnect" their calling party customers if the called-end hasn't "anssered" (returned "answer supervision") within 2-5 minutes as well.

I'd rather be "answered on hold", than keep calling and calling back where the connection just rings and then I get "NCD" (Non-Completion Disconnect) treatment from the long distanc carrier or local telco.

And it doesn't matter whether the number being called is a "POTS" geographic number or a toll-free 800/888/877/866/etc. number. If the called party doesn't answer within one minute (long distance) or a couple of minutes or few minutes (landline local telco and cellular origination) of ringing and ringing, you will get dropped and have to start all over!

-ab

Reply to
Anthony Bellanga
Loading thread data ...

When I worked for the Sec States office I realized that the switch could do queuing. It was a Prologix and didn't have a message card in it so if you were in the queue it would just ring continuously. People did NOT like that.

Reply to
T

Don't forget the revenue considerations. A ringing call does not ring the cash register for the telco. An answered call does.

Reply to
Ron Kritzman

The DMS-100 (on the receiving office end) does (or used to anyway) drop an unanswered call after 4 minutes.

I don't know about the Lucent machines. It could certainly be a program option.

Reply to
Sam Spade

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.