Infected Email Pretending to be Telecom-Digest.org

I just wanted to let the readers know that there's at least one virus that's sending infected emails pretending to be bounced mail from telecom-digest.org.

Look> Subject: smtp mail failed

From: snipped-for-privacy@telecom-digest.org > This_is_an_automatically_generated_Delivery_Status_Notification. > SMTP_Error_[] > I'm_afraid_I_wasn't_able_to_deliver_your_message. > This_is_a_permanent_error;_I've_given_up._Sorry_it_didn't_work_out. > The_full_mail-text_and_header_is_attached!

And then there's a zip file attached with a nice .exe inside it.

John Meissen snipped-for-privacy@aracnet.com

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Thanks for the warning, John, many readers may not have known about this clown. I knew about it, but since I get about a dozen per day of the same notices either from 'Administrator' or 'MIT Administrator' or 'Account Review Team' (or some equally bogus) mail sender, always to advise me that (a) "he/she/it" has observed that a large amount of spam has been sent from my account, or (b) that mail which I sent had virus in it, or (c)mail I received had virus in it, and my account 'is going to be cancelled unless I fill out the enclosed form to reinstate myself' (the enclosed form has an .exe in it of course requesting passwords, etc) I just junk them without comment.

After all, one of our readers here reminds me from time to time that "we cannot dictate what other sites send out in email" and since he is prone to be vicious and order me to "never contact him again" when I have complained about it in the past, I do not say much about it. All I can suggest -- until/unless/if/when laws are passed/enforced which flatly forbid (I suggest with punishment of death) sending out that sort of crapola -- that users _never_ open any attachment received in email without first inspecting it very closely. Which, exactly, is worse, the spammers, scammers, phishermen or their apologists on the net I do not know. PAT]

Reply to
jmeissen
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.