Home and small office VoIP services [Telecom]

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 13:29:34 -0400, hancock4 wrote: .......

....... Why does VoIP in a business environment require an UPS?

If the power is out you cannot receive faxes, run a computer or do virtually any business function required these days, so not having a phone service for the period of no power is hardly of much substance.

While it may have been handy in the past to have landline service in the event of a major power outage, in these days of ubiquitous cell phones it is basically redundant as far as most "emergency" situations go and little use otherwise.

-- Regards, David.

David Clayton Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. Knowledge is a measure of how many answers you have, intelligence is a measure of how many questions you have.

***** Moderator's Note *****

Ah, but you need a reliable phone service so that you can call the disaster recovery service bureau, repoint your DNS, remote-forward your fax line, and plan you vacation. ;-)

Reply to
David Clayton
Loading thread data ...

Both Verizon and AT&T have it already going in California in the areas that are newer and easy to upgrade.

Reply to
Sam Spade

I don't know about today, but as recently as a few years ago the California PUC had some service standards and a government/industry committee that met periodically.

We all know about busy hour issues and grade of service with wireline carriers. I suspect wireless is much worse. VoIP, I have no idea.

Reply to
Sam Spade

If they _tell_ you about mandated guarantees, you're just going to call and whine and complain and expect refunds and send letters to the PUC when things go wrong. If they don't tell you, you probably won't know. Why in the world would you expect that they'd choose to tell you?

(Mind you, I have no idea whether there are such guarantees, it probably depends on your jurisdiction.)

Dave

Reply to
Dave Garland

Remember, this question deals with growth, not emergency events.

Not really. It appears traditional telco growth will be slow and as such they have plenty of capacity to handle today's and future needs. If demand grows, they'll have time to respond to it. That "question" hit traditonal telcos back in the 1960s/1970s when high demand and exploding change orders (household moves/ number changes) overwhelmed COs.

Basically, if VOIP providers face unanticpated demand for new services, will their network be able to handle it? Unlike the old Bell System with its unified network management, VOIP is decentralized with many independent players involved.

We must remember that the huge decline in the cost of electronics has allowed traditional telco switching gear and carrier systems to be much more liberally engineered these days than in the past. A major disaster could overwhelm the traditional telco, especially if its physically facilities are damaged.

However, my home and office through several extreme storms and floods over the years and we always had good dial tone. During those events we were never told not to use the phone, indeed, emergency phone numbers were broadcast for people to use.

After power was restored, cable TV took a long time to come back. I sure hope cable phone systems continue working without any interuption if commercial power fails, and intermediate junction and repeater stations have power backup.

I suspect there is far more capacity available for emergencies than there was in the past.

Cellphone frequencies are finite, as are cellphone tower switching capacity. During the Inaugural some carriers could not meet demand. (I'm told Verizon did, but AT&T did not.)

The pauses definitely occur. The question is do they disrupt VOIP service?

I know of one company that regularly loses power due to nearby power poles being knocked down by errant motorists. But the telephone wires apparently are underground because phone service is not disrupted.

Obviously some telephone lines are carried on poles and at risk for knock down, but a great many trunks are underground.

Reply to
hancock4

Googling "California PUC telephone requirements" finds the CPUC's home page:

Then this with nothing germane I could see:

Using CPUC's search box on "telephone service level" found this:

indicating the CPUC is massively pushing VoIP. And then there's this:

where I seem unable to find anything defining landline, wireless, and VoIP requirements, service levels, etc.

Even Wikipedia's page about the CPUC focuses on broadband (in the Telecommunications section):

Perhaps phone service (landline, wireless and VoIP) is defined by law and not the PUC? Just guessing; anyone know?

Reply to
Thad Floryan

I can't help but wonder if VOIP isn't covered by such standards being it's new and that many providers aren't located in the area when one has service.

I wonder what will happen if VOIP really takes off in popularity--will _everyone_ in the communications chain be able to upgrade facilities to provide the necessary capacity? For example, what happens if say the cable company which people are using as their transmission medium fails to upgrade its facilities and its broadband lines get overloaded? What happens if Internet 'trunk' lines do not get upgraded?

Reply to
hancock4

It's still there. But, it is sort of hidden. Once on the CPUC web site you search for "orders." Then, in the search results you find the General Orders index page.

formatting link
And, presto, the link to General Order 133-B, "Telephone Service."

And, here is the old document itself:

http://162.15.7.24/PUBLISHED/Graphics/591.PDF They have a committee of industry, PUC staff, and sometimes even a member of the public. I was a public member for a period of time, but got bored when I realized the wireline carriers keep much from happening.

Reply to
Sam Spade

David Clayton wrote: ..

My wireline service is a copper pair back to the local central office two miles away. In an emegency where the commercial power has failed, and assuming no physical plant damage, my wireline service will be much, much more reliable and accessible than cellular service. The only tower that I can hit can service perhaps 100 customers at one time? The wireline carrier can serve far more at one time.

Reply to
Sam Spade

Super! That's it. Seems my search using "telephone service level" precluded finding that document on CPUC's pages. Thank you for the above reference!

It's surprising to me that such a document defining telco service is so small: 14 pages, 957KB (scanned).

Some interesting things in that document, such as getting dial tone "97.4% within 3 seconds", etc.

Seems you could tell some interesting stories. :-)

Reply to
Thad Floryan

A few. The most interesting story I can't tell because I signed a non-disclosure agreement in settlement of a formal complaint.

I can say this much: I don't know about today but some 20 years ago the "local phone company" tried to make the DMS-100 and 5ESS appear to be identical as to feature performance, particularly in a Centrex environment. Such was simply not the case, and even my LEC's switch engineers didn't realize it at the time.

Reply to
Sam Spade

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.