Google AMP Is Also A Mobile Ads Revolution

Google AMP Is Also A Mobile Ads Revolution

by Frederic Filloux

Beyond contents, Google's Accelerated Mobile Pages also impact mobile advertising. Next summer, we might see the first "AMPlified" adver- tising campaigns. For ads, converting to the new AMP system is complicated task given the ecosystem's diversity and conservatism. This is an opportunity for startups to play a key role in spreading AMP.

For the digital a content industry, the rampant mediocrity of mobile ads has become an embarrassment: poorly designed ads whose resolution is not adjusted to the phone screen; painfully heavy banners; failing to load properly and thus leaving a blank space in the scroll - As another example, see repeated interstitials on Politico's mobile site, they eat half of the screen, over and over, at every single page, with the same advertiser. (The mobile app is fine and features branded content.):

formatting link

***** Moderator's Note *****

Eyeballs to Advertisers. (Repeat several times)

I don't usually approve posts related to a specific vendor, but this subject gives an unusually clear picture of what the Cellular vendors and their allies are all about: delivering eyeballs to advertisers.

I've been criticized for being a luddite when it comes to "smart" phones, but here's a good example of *why* it's important to be cautious with mobile technologies: we can talk endlessly about the benefits of "3G" vs. "4G" vs. whatever-buzzword-comes-next - but it's important for all of us to realize that those technologies are being put in place for the benefit of salesmen, *not* for the benefit of users.

They are delivering eyeballs to advertisers, and not just *any* eyeballs, but those of young, impressionable, and gullible consumers who haven't formed brand loyalties yet.

And, no, before you ask: I'm not the massa of the cellular plantation and I don't know what is best for the natives. I just try to get people to think, which is probably the definition of "Quixotic".

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
Monty Solomon
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.