Fw: OT, but since you asked: English was: Re: What is this caled? (Opposite of ACD?) [Telecom]

MC, they should pay you extra for today: yours is the most clear,

> concise, and memorable advice I've ever received on this subject.

Glad to be of service! There's plenty more at:

formatting link
All the best, MC

Reply to
Michael A. Covington
Loading thread data ...

"Henry" > The difference between "its" and "it's" is the same as the difference

> between "his" and "he's". >> >> "He's puzzling." -> "It's puzzling." >> >> "his strange attributes" -> "its strange attributes" >> >> (Unlike nouns, possessive pronouns, such as "his," don't have an >> apostrophe.) > > Oops. In your example above, 'his strange attributes', "his" is of > course a possessive _adjective_, not a possessive pronoun. > > 'the red BMW is _his_ car' -> adjective, _describing_ 'car' > > 'the blue Audi is _his_' -> pronoun, _replacing_ '(Bill's) car' > > This can be confusing because in the third person singular (masculine) > the same form, "his", is used in both instances. With the feminine at > least there is the difference between 'her' (adjective) and 'hers' > (pronoun) and with first person singular the distinction is perfectly > clear: > > 'my' -> 'mine'.

A pronoun does not lose its status as a pronoun because it is used in its attributive or possessive form. It does not "become" an adjective, it remains a pronoun used in its attiributive sense, which has the same functions as an adjective.

Let's not even get started with its / it's :-) -- what a can of > worms that is! Just the other day I actually saw someone use its' (can > you imagine?!?).

I never found the distinction be "its" and "it's" a cam of worms, or even difficult. If you can substitute "it is" for it, it is a contraction and takes tne apostrophe. If substituting "it is" turns the meaning into gibberish, use "its."

Oh, and by the way ... going back to > >> (Unlike nouns, possessive pronouns, such as "his," don't have an >> apostrophe.) > > we get your point. But consider this conversation heard daily down the > pub: > > Mike: 'Oh, hallo lads! What'll ye have?' > > Bill: 'I'll have a Guinness, please'. > > Henry: 'Thanks, mate! Mine's a lager'. > > 'Mine' is most definitely a possessive pronoun and that is indubitably > an apostrophe crept in, there. So, appearances can be deceiving! > > cheers, > >Henry

Quite clearly, "mine's", in your example, is a contraction of "mine is."

Wes Leatherock snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

***** Moderator's Note *****

This isn't telecom related, but I'm giving this thread some leeway because I have to correct a lot of posts which are very hard to understand in their original form. I'd really like to see better grammar from some contributors!

Bill Horne Temporary Moderator

Please put [Telecom] at the end of your subject line, or I may never see your post! Thanks!

We have a new address for email submissions: telecomdigestmoderator atsign telecom-digest.org. This is only for those who submit posts via email: if you use a newsreader or a web interface to contribute to the digest, you don't need to change anything.

Reply to
Wes Leatherock

This is a dispute over terminology, not facts.

Reply to
MC

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.