Extensions to pay phones? [Telecom]

Verizon once sent me a price list of their various services, much of which were legacy. It appears that most legacy services are still available if one is willing to pay for them. Sometimes switching to modern technology might be cheaper. (Some exceptions--in my state party lines are no longer available, and I believe they discontinued

20 ma and 60 ma lines that served old style Teletypes).

Regarding the theatre and its phone booth, I can't think of any reason why the phoneco would not continue to provide that service. However, I suspect the pay phone doesn't get much use and the theatre owner must pay for it to make up the shortfall. It might be cheaper for them to terminate the pay phone and just have a regular line for the box office.

Regarding the issue of message rate service to businesses, I checked the Bell Labs history 1925-1975. It appears message rate was used in large cities while smaller cities had flat rate. On the technology of recording charges, I was confused. On the one hand automatic counting- registers for developed very early for manual service and adopted for switches when dial came out. (In a few large cities that had message unit service (eg New York), the registers would increment for initial charge and timing; in 1950 this was expanded to dialed suburban calls.) But their other descriptions of message charging required complex equipment, such as for ANI.

Reply to
HAncock4
Loading thread data ...

Thanks for the link to that site, Scott.

On the outside it looks like the 1A2 coin set. Probably some internal improvements were made, incrementing the designation letter.

I don't remember if the 1A1/1A2 could provide dialtone first or not. I was not around pay phone installation after 1970.

What was the WECo designation for the late three-slot coin sets that were replaced by the 1A1/1A2 sets around the end of the '60s? Perhaps a 635?

My guess, for their choosing the use of a coin set as an extension, was their C.O. may have only provided 1FB, or other loop-start lines, and the "coin" set therefore required an ability to "play dead" until a coin was inserted.

Or this could be one of those customer-owned coin sets on a 1FB line. A friend installed one in his restaurant and had the SWBT 1A2 removed.

Or they didn't want the ticket seller to make free calls and tie up the line. ;-)

Reply to
John F. Morse

In article , snipped-for-privacy@panix.com says... We had that at a garage I worked in. The phone did, in fact, have

I have in my posession a 1990's Qwest 1D2 payphone. You're right, when the coin drops down it trips a little switch and sets one of the relays on the control board.

Reply to
T

The 1C2 was the next to the last in CO controlled pay phones made by Western Electric.

I have a 1D2, here's a pic of the guts:

formatting link
The only key difference I know of between a 1C2 and 1D2 is the totalizer. On the former it's a very electromechanical beast, whereas on the latter it just uses a little sensor board to detect the coins and relay that on to the logic board.

In the below picture you can see the sensor board clearly on the coin mechanism:

formatting link

Reply to
T

In Germany, Telcos are desperately trying to phase out ISDN since the vendors of CO equipment have announced the EOL of the associated hardware.

Grüße Marc

--

-------------------------------------- !! No courtesy copies, please !! ----- Marc Haber | " Questions are the | Mailadresse im Header Mannheim, Germany | Beginning of Wisdom " |

formatting link
by Nature | Lt. Worf, TNG "Rightful Heir" | Fon: *49 621 72739834

Reply to
Marc Haber

Thanks for the info.

Also for all the interesting pictures. Too bad Fred Phelps had to spoil Providence. :-(

Reply to
John F. Morse

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.