donations via cellphone "texting" to Haitian relief [telecom]

The various relief agencies have established accounts with the cellcos allowing subscribers to "donate via texting".

Kind of like the Bad Old Days of "900" numbers..., but for a good cause this time.

(Payment via cellphone texting is growing in popularity outside the North American marketplace. In some areas you can walk your cellphone to a soda or other machine, punch the id number into your phone, and that's how you pay).

Of course, at the end of the billing cycle, your cellco statement shows you the amounts, and requests your prompt payment.

Which brings up the question: How many Americans are tapping in these special text-donation numbers, not realizing that they'll be on the hook?

And related to that, what safeguards are in place by the cellcos to limit client exposure? No one's going to go broke at an unexpected single $10 donation/extra charge,but what if mom and dad and the five kids, and themothers-in-law.. all got out the phone(s), and made repeated donations?

_____________________________________________________ Knowledge may be power, but communications is the key snipped-for-privacy@panix.com [to foil spammers, my address has been double rot-13 encoded]

Reply to
danny burstein
Loading thread data ...

Maybe I'm just not as stupid as typical Americans, but I thought it was obvious. Who would they think would pay it?

Whenever someone has mentioned texting 90999, they said it was so that

*you* could donate $10. There's never been any suggestion that it would be the cellphone company making the donation. It's not like one of those campaigns where a company says "Buy XXX and we'll donate $Y to your high school".
Reply to
Barry Margolin

Smart people do a lot better than stupid people. Some actually understand what the announcements quite clearly say.

Reply to
Sam Spade

A big problem with texting money to Haiti is it would probably be quicker to swim a $10 bill there yourself. The phone companies have to bill their customers, collect the money, and then send it on. That process could take 2 or 3 months.

formatting link
I heard a piece of advice the other day that it's better to donate money to aid agencies already established in Haiti rather than donating to an agency that may or may not have all of their ducks in a row.

John

-- John Mayson

formatting link

***** Moderator's Note *****

According to my local PBS station, some carriers have agreed to front the money prior to collection. However, that's not really a problem: since it takes too long for charitable organizations to collect the funds, negotiate for supplies and transport, and get relief to those in need, they always work from reserves of both supplies and money collected during and after previous disasters.

Books have been writen about the fund-raising and spending practices used by the Red Cross and other charitable organizations, but that's beyond the scope of this thread. The point is that, as has been reported by every network, there are more-than-adequate supplies being piled up on the apron at Toussaint Louverture International Airport in Port-au-Prince: those supplies came out of warehouses that the U.S. Government, the Salvation Army, and the Red Cross maintain for the purpose. When the warehouses are empty, they'll be replenished with money collected for disaster relief in Haiti, and even though the supplies may have been purchased with money donated for the victims of hurricane Katrina or a later event, they will be replaced with money collected for the current event. The process evens things out over time, allows for efective negotiation unhampered by the demands of the current effort, and gives agencies the ability to pre-position needed material in advance of major meteorological events such as hurricanes, floods, and blizzards. Although this way of doing business causes minor embarassment to the Red Cross and other caregivers from time to time, it's so obviously necessary that such "exposes" are always quickly forgotten.

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
John Mayson

Haiti Text-To-Give Numbers

Text HAITI to 90999 to donate $10 to the American Red Cross Text HAITI to 45678 to donate $5 to the Salvation Army in Canada

You can even use some pre-pay cell phones such as Virgin Mobile, but be aware that with Virgin, you may be charged for 5 text messages at

15 cents each which will total to 75 cents:

I paid 15¢ to send original donation I paid 15¢ to get a confirmation inquiry from RC I paid 15¢ to say yes, I really want to give $10.00 I paid 15¢ to get a "Thank you" from Red Cross I paid 15¢ to get another msg asking me if I wanted updates on fund raising etc.

I did not reply to the last one.

I use Virgin pre-pay, so I had more then $10.00 credit balance

Reply to
www.Queensbridge.us

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.