[Telecom] Satellite circuits busy because of Haiti?

Folks

I've been reading postings in the amateur radio community indicating that the various groups which are arriving in Haiti are bringing in their own satellite based systems. I'm curious to read of any failures, circuit overloading and other issues.

It would appear that that amateur radio community was quite busy for a few days but the traffic has died down as more satellite communications were brought into the country.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Toews [MVP]
Loading thread data ...

Well, Tony,

That sounds great in theory. But there's been a problem with that. Please read this story:

formatting link

Fred, WB4AEJ

Reply to
Fred Atkinson, WB4AEJ

Off topic.

As qrz.com has animated graphic ads I avoid visiting that site at all costs. If I have to I move the animated grahics to the left hand side of the screen so they aren't visible.

I've already expressed my displeasure via email. The web site owners response is "The companies that place the ads like them" No problem. I just won't visit.

I've been unable to find a Firefox addin that would "freeze" the animated graphics. I don't even know if that would be technically possible.

Tony

***** Moderator's Note *****

I recommend NoScript for Firefox. You won't believe you ever got along without it.

Bill Horne Moderator

Reply to
Tony Toews [MVP]

I highly recommend FlashBlock for blocking flash-based ads. For the ones that use animated GIFs, there's a Firefox setting that will cause it to only cycle once:

In the URL (address) field, enter about:config Find the image.animation_mode preference name Double-click on it to change the string value to none or once Close the about:config page/tab

john-

Reply to
jmeissen

This _doesn't_ require an add-in.

Type About:config in the Location Bar, and hit enter. Click the "I'll be careful" button. search for "image.animation_mode" change the value to "none".

[[ there used to be an add-in that did this without having to go in through about:config, but it seems to have died. ]]

This kills all animations.

On any given web-page, after it has loaded, simply hitting the [ESC] key,

*assuming* a windows-based version of firefox, will pause all the animations on -that- page.

see for all the gory details.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Didn't stop the animations on qrz.com in firefox 3.0.3 on win2k

Michael

Reply to
Michael Grigoni

Works like a charm with 3.5.7 on the home page for that site.

3.0.3 is _ancient_, to put it charitably -- you're only _five_ releases, and 7 bug-fix editions behind. Oops, make that 6 releases -- 3.6 is out.

BTW, 3.5 is only about 3 times faster than 3.0, and 3.6 is another 20% faster than 3.5.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

But is it 100% HTML compliant? Previous FF I've tested were not and only Opera and Safari were/are.

For info about browser compliance:

To test browser compliance:

For web page compliance:

Reply to
Thad Floryan

"Immaterial and Irrelevant", to someone who is -already- using it.

You haven't tested Lynx, have you? Lynx was W3C-compliant before Opera or Safari were even design concepts. :)

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Not if it fails. Earlier FF 3.* failed and I haven't bothered again with 3.* until I hear otherwise.

Lynx is text-only. I used it circa early 1990s but now I use it only to determine a site's web server info per:

$ lynx -head

formatting link
but wget is better for that purpose:

$ wget -S --spider

formatting link
and, yes,
formatting link
is a valid domain for just this kind of testing. :-)

Reply to
Thad Floryan

Also use AdblockPlus, all of these things really clean up annoying web sites.

-- Regards, David.

David Clayton Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. Knowledge is a measure of how many answers you have, intelligence is a measure of how many questions you have.

Reply to
David Clayton

And if I might, Flashblock too. A lot of little nasties are being encoded in flash these days.

Reply to
T

Fortunately that is not a big concern for those of us using a far more resilient platform - Linux. If I was a Windows user I'm not even sure I'd want to be online these days.......

- - Regards, David.

David Clayton Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. Knowledge is a measure of how many answers you have, intelligence is a measure of how many questions you have.

***** Moderator's Note *****

Now, here's a guy who "walks the walk" -

User-Agent: Pan/0.14.2.91 (As She Crawled Across the Table (Debian GNU/Linux))

Reply to
David Clayton

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.