Connecticutt AT&T operation losing jobs [Telecom]

According an article in the Waterbury, CT, REPUBLICAN-AMERICAN, AT&T is cutting jobs:

AT&T's plan to eliminate more landline-related jobs in the state has union officials and state consumer advocates crying foul.

Officials with the Communications Workers of America Local 1298 said Tuesday that AT&T plans to phase out 160 more installation and repair jobs by Feb. 19. A company spokesman confirmed that AT&T plans to eliminate "surplus" jobs in the state, but would not confirm the total number of jobs affected.

formatting link

Reply to
Bill Horne
Loading thread data ...

Verizon has been cutting jobs by attrition and layoff for some time.

Many telecom jobs have been shifted to non union positions. For example, I don't believe people who work in the cellphone divisions are unionized. I don't believe newcomer cellphone carriers or landline carriers, or cable phone are unionized either. Many functions for large businesses once performed by unionized telco personnel are now done by non-union employees of the subscribers.

The union itself calls itself "CWA" now and for years has sought to represent service workers in other industries.

Reply to
hancock4

While I'm a union support through and through, I'm hard-pressed to criticize AT&T for this. People are simply not getting many landlines anymore. The unions should have done as the longshoremen did when containization came to be: negotiate other jobs so that their members would still have work. But they didn't. Where was the CWA leadership?

Reply to
David Kaye

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.