Comcast seeks NBC-U [telecom]

Comcast, a major cable TV distributor, has branched out into providing telephone service and Internet service.

It now seeks to purchase NBC/Universal.

Before divesture, many people argued against the structure of the old Bell System on the grounds that it was "too big". They objected to AT&T owning three major elements--long distance, local service, and Western Electric (mfrg), and wanted the parts broken up. The grudge against WE being part of the Bell System goes back many years.

Now that Comcast is providing telephone and internet service, perhaps it would be too big as well if it included NBC in its portfolio. In other words, what was the point of breaking up the old AT&T if we're gonna allow new companies to become as big and powerful?

The idea of a cable company--the distributor--owning the production company troubles me. Before WW II, the big movie studios owned the theatres and controlled what movies appeared. It was hard for independents to get their films shown if they didn't have the blessings of the big guys. After the war an anti-trust action forced the studios to sell off the theatres, and it appeared things worked better accordingly.

[public replies please]
Reply to
hancock4
Loading thread data ...

All 4 major networks; ABC,CBS,NBC and FOX also own production companies for TV, movies. Allowing Comcast would make it worse and drive up costs.

Reply to
Steven

An extremely smart move.

I suspect a totally different scenario. I expect Comcast to keep NBC for a few years and then sell it. I'm tempted to invest in Comcast now because I think they're seeing what I'm seeing, and making a VERY smart move.

Reply to
David Kaye

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.