Auto(in)correct [telecom]

Auto(in)correct

By BEN ZIMMER January 13, 2011

Pity poor Hannah, who received a startling text message on her cellphone, sent from her father: "Your mom and I are going to divorce next month."

After Hannah registered her alarm, her father quickly texted back: "I wrote 'Disney,' and this phone changed it. We are going to Disney."

Welcome to the world of smartphone autocorrection, where incautious typing can lead to hilarious and sometimes shocking results. With the rapid success of Apple's iPhone and Google's Android phones, more and more people are discovering the pitfalls of tapping on a virtual keyboard. Just as the spell-check feature in a word-processing program tries to save you from your own sloppy typing, either by politely suggesting alternatives or by automatically replacing egregious errors, the latest mobile devices are supposed to take care of your typos - but often fail with comic results.

Back in June, The Times's technology columnist, David Pogue, blogged about some "autocorrect follies" sent to him by his readers, full of howlers like "Sorry about your feces" when "Sorry about your fever" was intended. Pogue sagely advised, "Especially when your boss, your parents or your love interest is the recipient of your e-mail or text message, it's worth taking an extra moment to proofread."

These vast new opportunities for social embarrassment are now being charted by the Web site Damn You Auto Correct! (D.Y.A.C. for short), where victims of autocorrect are invited to submit screen grabs of their most inglorious gaffes. Though D.Y.A.C. wasn't the first to exploit this concept (a Tumblr feed with an unprintable twist on "iPhone" came first), it has quickly become an online sensation. Within days after Jillian Madison, co-founder of the Pophangover Network, set up the site in late October, D.Y.A.C. started getting a million daily page views, with hundreds of submissions every day. And now Madison has parlayed that success into a D.Y.A.C. book, due out in March.

formatting link

Reply to
Monty Solomon
Loading thread data ...

Google and other search engines change search criteria around even if you don't want them too. Historically, putting text in quotes meant to use it exactly as entered, but today's search engines still massage it around even when you don't want it to.

For example, I wanted to find out if there was any information about a police incident on Hartford Court, a local street. So I keyed "Hartford Court" including the quotes. But the search engine condensed it to "Hartford CT" and returned a ton of unwanted information about Hartford, Connecticut. It continued to do this even after I added qualifiers to narrow it down; it just ignored them.

At other times they substitute unwanted synonyms or spellings.

In other threads we talked about the mess in automated telephone directory websites--giving lots of listings from all over the place except the one you really want.

I realize there is an advantage to fuzzy matches or correcting spelling; sometimes we do make spelling mistakes and the computer is correct in assuming what we really want. But many times the computer is wrong, and it's frustrating that it won't let us override its assumptions.

Maybe the programmers of such things purposely want us to wade through lots of listings?

Reply to
Lisa or Jeff

Odd, I just tried that with Google, and on the first 3 pages of hits there was only one ringer ("Hartford Courant", which was maybe an offering in case I'd misslept the word). Or maybe they just throw in one ringer to keep you on your toes, when I tried "telephone game" (ever mindful of the ob.telecom) there was exactly one hit that only had the word "telephone". Ixquick and DuckDuckGo (2 search engines that claim not to track you) were 100%. OTOH, Bing/Yahoo (same engine, I think) were pretty aggressive in pushing Connecticut.

Not all search engines are equal. And not all honor the quote rule, although all these seemed to.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Garland

I tried "Hartford Court" on Google and got 135,000 results, none with CT substituted for Court (at least on the first two pages). On the other hand "Hartford Ct" got 3.9 million hits.

If you want to search for "Hartford Court" and not "Hartford Ct" you can use Advanced search to specify "Find these" and "But don't show these" .

Brad Houser

Reply to
SVU

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.