AT&T's Capped Data Plan Could Save You Money [telecom]

AT&T's Capped Data Plan Could Save You Money

By DAVID POGUE The New York Times June 3, 2010

I don't know if you've seen the frantic blog headlines, but they boil down to this: Those big, greedy, monolithic cellphone companies have found yet another way to gouge us for more money.

Well, hold on a minute.

The news Wednesday was that AT&T is the first company to introduce capped data plans. After June 7, new customers will no longer be offered a $30 plan for unlimited Internet use on a smartphone (including iPhones). Instead, you'll have to gauge how much data you use, and buy the appropriate number of megabytes a month, and worry about either going over or paying for capacity you never use-just like you do now with talk minutes.

Verizon and the other carriers will probably follow suit.

How anti-consumer, right? Surely this is yet another way to exploit the masses and stifle innovation!

Look, you know me. I'm the first guy to lead the charge against cell-carrier greed.

But this is different. This time, I think you'll wind up coming out ahead. I think AT&T has put together one of the fairest, most carefully considered plans in a long time.

First of all, if you're an existing AT&T customer, the new plans are optional. You can hang onto your $30 unlimited plan if you like. Yes, even if you get a new phone.

If you're a new customer, or an existing one who wants to save some money, here's the deal. There are two new capped Internet-service plans:

formatting link

Reply to
Monty Solomon
Loading thread data ...

Well, they did it because their network is too fragile for the demand.

Naw, they did it to get rid of the flat-raters over time.

I've had an iPhone for 18 months. My average data use is 25 megs per month with a top of 40 megs one month. I switched to the $15 plan the first day it was available. I never did understand why I *had* to take the flat-rate plan when I signed on 18 months ago.

I really think they would far rather have had someone like me stay on the unlimited plan.

Reply to
Sam Spade

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.