1A2 Help Requested

All,

I googled this group and found some questions, slightly related to mine, but not exactly, and all 3 or 4 years old. Also, I apologize if I munge some terms.

So -- the story. The old 6 button western electric wink/blink/flash business phones have always fascinated me. Don't ask me why ... I dunno.

Currently I don't have any "new" phones at home ... Over the years I have found them all to be crap for one reason or another, regardless of price, and have bought several of the old 60s/70s style phones to replace them. I was amazed how much I prefer the sound of the old style ringer to the glitzy electronic chirp I'd gotten used to.

So now, the grumpy old man in me is satisfied.

But the geek in me isn't.

So, on to the next step -- installing one of the 6 button business phones at home. (I don't/won't have multiple lines. All 5 buttons will tie to the same number, or perhaps I'll use some of them for intercom functionality, etc. one day).

I'm bidding on some manuals that apparantly go very deeply into the operation and wiring of this type system -- but in the chance I lose the auction, I was hoping to get some help here.

Can anyone break down, at a high level, the components I will need to get something like this working?

I know I need the phone itself, and it has to have the 25 pair amphenol connector on it.

And I know I need a 1A2 Keyset Unit. And this is where things get fuzzy for me.

When someone says 1A2 keyset unit -- does that automatically infer all the pieces that go with it? For example, I know there are various cards, which enable certain options, and so, there must also be a power supply to power the cards. Is this all self contained within what is called a KSU?

Are there other pieces to a 1A2 KSU I need to know about?

For example, do I need to get some punchdown blocks that go in between the phones and the KSU?

I guess my problem is I don't know what to ask -- because I don't know what I'm doing.

I'll continue searching the web to learn more, and in the meantime, if anyone could provide some links (Surely I'm not the only one to do this?), or perhaps offer comments, I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks,

Matt

Reply to
Matt
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.