A question concerning alarm sensors

I've posted a (suitably anonymous) plan of my ground floor showing my uninformed choice of motion sensor locations 1-5 and a door contact at

1. See

formatting link
    The blue dots are the sensors and the red lines are radiators.

Could any experts out there kindly tell me if I've made a good choice of sensor location, please, or whether alternative positions would be preferable. Have I got enough sensors?

Many thanks

Reply to
Old Dad Smith
Loading thread data ...

The Playroom and Lounge room have no dividing wall and are effectively one room. Therefore, I am hoping that sensor 5 will cover the 30 ft. distance to the patio doors and detect someone breaking the glass.

I intend to use combined PIR/microwave sensors top avoid radiators triggering the alarm. Any good brands out there?

Reply to
Old Dad Smith

The plan may be misleading - there is no partition between the Playroom and Lounge room, only a couple of steps.

The motion sensors I had in mind were combined PIR/microwave sensors.

Reply to
Old Dad Smith

Right above a radiator will cause false alarms when the heating comes on. Also you haven't got anything on the Patio doors - this is a common area for attempted access. Might want to fit shock sensors on these, stop them before they get in.

Reply to
SantaUK

Is there a reason you have chosen not to cover the front hall. There appears to be a partition between playroom & lounge room if this is correct then there is no protection for the lounge,utility & shower rooms.

Because of the number of radiators in some rooms it is difficult to locate sensors.

You use the word "sensors" (what "sensors" have you got in mind.)

Reply to
BIG NIGE

You might want to look at some notes I put together a while back:

formatting link
It's likely the actual products mentioned have been superceded by now, but this should still give you some things to think about, and which features you want and which you don't want.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

That is what I was going to recommend.

We mainly use the Equinox PI from Pyronix (This is a Pet friendly version of the Equinox 10)

Others in the range are Equinox 10 (10 Metre Range) Equinox 15 (15 Metre Range) Equinox E (15 Metre Range with look down zone) (not recommended near your radiators)

Reply to
BIG NIGE

If I put magnetic contacts on each door and vibration sensors on each window, could I do away with PIR motion sensors all together? What would be the disadvantages of this?

I have lots of radiators AND some underfloor heating so PIRs could be more trouble than their worth.

Reply to
Old Dad Smith

Good point

How far away from radiators should dual-tech sensors be located?

Reply to
Old Dad Smith

The Main problem with perimeter ONLY security,

If ONE sensor fails then there is total access to the property.

You should be OK with dual-tec sensors, just make sure that the Microwave is not turned up so high that it looks THROUGH glass.

Also if you are installing microwave sensors close to one another make sure that they are operating on different microwave frequencies (Pyronix supply

3 different frequencies) Easily distinguishable by different colout frequency stickers on the boxes - RED, PINK & GREEN.

Reply to
BIG NIGE

Also as you have not mentioned control panel yet, make sure that you only fit ONE sensor per zone, so if lots of sensors use a panel with more zones than you have sensors (for later expansion.)

And make sure that you have plenty of battery back-up

Reply to
BIG NIGE

As long as you put vipers on the external doors along with the contacts. Just bear in mind the postman knocking on your front door - they can be quite heavy handed at 7am when they think your in!!!

Also think carefuly about access from the loft / roof. If no space protection then you need to think about more "uncommon" access methods - do you have a cellar? Theres another to check!

Reply to
SantaUK

To alert the neighbours. On balance, I think that I've got more chance of a faster response than signalling the police.

Not a criticism - just my personal experience, that's all.

Reply to
Old Dad Smith

There is no set distance. Where installers have to fit detectors in a room with a radiator, 99% will avoid fitting them directly above and most will site them the opposite side of the room if possible. (dual techs or otherwise)

There are good reasons for doing this and it gets a little technical to explain why.

Reply to
PeterCB

Good question.

That depends on whether or not you want police response in the event the system is activated.

Police will respond to systems that adhere to a strict set of policies.

They might respond to the ones that don't if they're bored and nothing better to do.

What are your intentions for response?

Reply to
PeterCB

Well you must have good neighbours then :)

Due to the fact that most people ignore alarms these days and probably nearly all people ignore persistant false alarming - I'd make sure I fit good quality equipment and detectors.

It only has to go off a couple of times and even your best neighbours will be saying, "freds alarm's going off again!"

Going back to your original question. I'd say you've got enough detectors and the advice from others in this thread is good also.

Personally, I'd only fit shock sensors if I can conceal the wiring without too much fuss or if I'm ready to decorate. Door contacts - probably only your front door needed.

Good luck and keep the false alarms to none otherwise it's a costly and pointless exercise.

Reply to
PeterCB

With a new DIY install, I would suggest not connecting the siren signal to the external sounder initially. If there's no sounder in the panel, to start with just connect an internal sounder so you know you've set it off. Even if the alarm itself has no faults, you may well trigger it a few times until you get used to using it. When you've had some period of no false alarms, then connect the siren to the external sounder. If the external siren has flashing LEDs and/or strobe, you could connect it up for these initially -- just leave off the siren connection.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Just as well because if you wanted Police response you would have to have a Professionally Installed Monitored alarm system which would cost a lot more PLUS annual Monitoring & Maintenance Fees.

If you have to fit the dual-tecs over Radiators then I suppose that the smaller radiators are the best to fit over.

I must admit that I have never had to design a system where there are 4 radiators in one room (especially in the corners).

Reply to
BIG NIGE

Reply to
BIG NIGE

Door contacts - probably only your front door needed.

I agree with PeterCB on the front door contact - especially as there is no cover in that area.

As for the other doors - you could fit contacts if you wanted a chime option when a door is opened.

BTW What control panel have you in mind.

Reply to
BIG NIGE

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.