Wet Underground Conduit

Hi all,

Any theories here (dumb question) on what is the proper cable for running thru conduit underground a distance of about 100'??

Conduit is presently very wet and it is thought that once the water is sucked out it may get wet again. Water could most likely be a few years of condensation.

TIA

Les

Reply to
ABLE1
Loading thread data ...

Any direct burial rated wire. There are some listed as waterproof, but not direct burial in the sound industry. They may also be suitable.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Thanks for all the input. On the other side of life what will happen if standard 18/4 stranded cable is used??

Will the insulation break down and if so about how long will it take??

TIA

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

I have used standard burg cable in ug conduit for as far back as I can remember, and have not had any fail due to water in the conduit. As long as you don't nick the jacket, I imagine you will have similar results.

Reply to
alarman

Me too, and the only problems I've had are with gardeners breaking the conduit. Of course we don't get tons of rain around here...but we got heat...we got heat to spare. I've got underground runs out there for 20 years that we ran in that flexible black irrigation pipe that's still running fine.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I'm talkin' sch. 40, the gray stuff. Your gardeners break that shit too??

Reply to
alarman

Yes, I've had Plenum break down several times, but never PVC. The jacket is much thinner and can't hold up as well as plain PVC. I've got an 18/4 plenum piece at a Chase location that has all 4 conductors shorted together inside the conduit. The CatV in PVC is still working just fine.

Reply to
Silicon Sam

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.