Unlocking Vista 15P3 (Monitronics Boards)

I have two extra of these, is there a way to reset the master Installer Code? Or is the master password somehow BIOS locked? I don't want to throw these away if I don't have to, but they are useless of course if they can't be unlocked! Any help appreciated. PS *,# upon power up then entering a new master code doesn't seem to work on either panel. I know for sure one came out of a Monitronics system,the other has identical numbers on it and the same behavior).....

Marc

Reply to
Marc
Loading thread data ...

I've never come across a Monitronics that was locked..never. The main problem is it can only report to them, you can't change the dialer number. But you could still use it locally...or you could probably change the chip and have a fully usable V15P

Try *# on power up, it should display 20, then do a #20 to display the existing code, then *20 to change the installer code.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Considering the way the panel firmware is written, it's likely that only the sub-routine for editing the dialer number has been blocked. Thus, with a chip burner someone could easily alter the number. The panel would then be locked onto whatever new dialer number you assign, effectively beating Monitronics at their own sleazy game.

Hmm. Maybe Monitronics will start filing Brinks-style lawsuits. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

This is the realm of expanding misinformation. Talking to different folks give you different answers. Getting the installer code out of Monitronics can be a problem. There is a policy I am told that says disclosing the installer code is only done at the expense of wiping all the panel information. Someone else here might know more about that policy, but is prone to not telling much about anything in a truthful fashion.

If you have the installer code I am told you can change the dialer number. As a practical matter not being able to download the panel yourself is one problem, but knowing that ONLY someone else can download it and might, even accidentally, should cause anyone some concern.

Reply to
Roland Moore

I dunno. I can only speak from my experience from having worked on about

10-15 this year and none were locked although I could not change the dialer number - so ended up swapping the board out.
Reply to
Crash Gordon

Thanks again! Will try to unlock with sequence you described......but won't be a monitored panel I guess!

M

Crash Gord> I dunno. I can only speak from my experience from having worked on about

Reply to
Marc

Reply to
Marc

Curious, would changing the chip allow a person to change the dialed number?

Reply to
sratc

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.