P1 , Z/P2 terminals on DSC RF5501-433 keypad

I am getting ready to install a DSC 632 system consisting of a PC1555 CP01 control and RF5501-433NA LCD. I will be connecting all wireles devices to the system thru the LCD. Im trying to understand what the P1 and Z/P2 terminals are for on the LCD. Its not clear to me whether I need to connect these back to the control panel or if they are unused. If anyone could explain what these are used for...I would sure appreciate it !

Thanks -- Jeff Gaiche

Reply to
jgaiche
Loading thread data ...

Perhaps. Reading your question though, it is clear that you didn't read the instructions at all. If I'm wrong about that, then you probably shouldn't be doing the install yourself. BTW, you're not a network engineer, are ya? Naa. Probably not, or you might have known to quote the post to which you responded so we don't have to guess. js

Reply to
alarman

Thanks for the help smart a$$. Im sure the manuals make perfect sense if you work with this stuff all the time...but...it you don't then just because you read it...doesnt mean you understand what they are saying.

Reply to
jgaiche

P1 and P2 would be used as PGM outputs to drive external devices, Z is used if you wanted to add a hardwired zone directly to the keypad instead of wiring it back to the control panel. If all your devices are wireless and you don't intend to use PGM outputs off the keypad then you can ignore these two terminals

Doug L

Reply to
Doug L

LOL...OK guys...this isnt where I imagined this thread going when I posted earlier.

As far as my original question, my suspicion is that the P1, Z/P2 terminals do not get connected back to the control board because they are for (I believe) connecting wired devices to the keyboard. However, in reference to these connections, the LCD manual says "... Refer to the control panel manual for proper hook-up diagram ... ". I wasnt able to find anything in the contol panel manual referring to these (on the LCD)...thus...my original post. Maybe I should have spelled all of this out originally...Anyways...just a little clarification is all that im asking for....

Reply to
jgaiche

Thanks Doug ! I appreciate the information -- Jeff

Reply to
jgaiche

Nice to see you showing a little manners here, Frank BUT am just starting a read here and I'll be back if I have to wade through another shitload of your posts.

Reply to
mikey

Then I suggest you are over your head on this project

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Try reading the manuals. I find that works best. ;-))

Reply to
Frank Olson

At least you have a counter to fall back on.

| > Then I suggest you are over your head on this project | | | I just hate it when some nimrod comes up to "my counter" and asks a question | the answer to which is in TFM if he'd only take the time to read the damn | thing!! It's laziness (or the lack of reading skills) I tell ya... pure | and simple!! Dammit!! Where's my hammer??! | | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I just hate it when some nimrod comes up to "my counter" and asks a question the answer to which is in TFM if he'd only take the time to read the damn thing!! It's laziness (or the lack of reading skills) I tell ya... pure and simple!! Dammit!! Where's my hammer??!

Reply to
Frank Olson

No the counter would be in front, part bins would be in back

Reply to
Mark Leuck

It is amazing to me how quick people are to get so damn hostile in these groups. If just a fraction of the effort put into this thread had been used to answer my original post instead of trying to make me look/feel stupid then there would have been 2 posts instead of the 12 or so we're on now. Hasn't anyone ever heard the saying 'If you dont have anything nice to say...then don't say anything at all'? I suspect not...at least for the majority that were giving me hell. These newsgroups used to be the place to go when you had a guestion...even if you didnt read TFM (I liked that Frank O)...and...people were glad ....and...even proud....to offer their knowledge and experience to a stranger. These days...seems like you get more attitude than anything else. I just think its sad that its come to this. Anyways...Thanks to Doug L for the information I needed.

Reply to
jgaiche

What is amazing is that the same questions are asked over and over by people who complain that manuals are not available to them, and then don't read them when they do have them. js

Reply to
alarman

Sir, far too often you are quite right. I'm not sure of the reason for this but after 10 years on this newsgroup, I have a couple of thoughts.

A lot of professional installers see DIY as some kind of threat, or else feel that programming should be left to professionals who do it every day. Being in the business myself, and having exposure to DIY'ers and their problems, I can personally attest that there is some merit to this position. However, being professionals, they ought to bite their tongue and assist, since that is primarily what this newsgroup is for (or arguably should be for).

Secondly, since our industry has been warped by years of the "free system" nonsense, most companies now primarily rely on monitoring revenues to stay afloat. When they see people come here trying to mickey mouse their alarm systems by going local, it can be quite irritating - both because this represents a sort of a revenue threat, but also because we all know intrinsically, this is the wrong thing to do (in spite of what most DIY'ers think...)

Also, there are a lot of people who post who don't think adequately in advance how the words they use may be misinterpreted by someone else. So tempers rise and away it goes !! It's pretty stupid I know, but it happens a lot.

There is one of our posters here...a long time regular...who runs an on line business that caters to DIY'ers, and who manages to irritate a lot of folks here (for various reasons both valid and not). You are dealing with a lot of strong personalities in our industry (that seems to be the nature of the beast...), and a representative group of those strong personalities reside here.

My advice is ask your question....the answer will be forthcoming in most cases....and don't take the "attitude" personally. Remember, in every pile of dung, there will be hidden a piece of gold ! Dig it out and flush the rest away......:)))

BTW, welcome....

RHC

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

Frank, you're so full of shit. You LOVE being the Shell Answer Man.

Reply to
mikey

It's amazing to me how many people don't read instructions

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Sometimes. Not *all* the time... :-))

Reply to
Frank Olson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.