OT: Cell phones

I'm thinking of getting an unlocked HTC touch pro2, any one here know anything about this phone?

Reply to
Effenpig1
Loading thread data ...

It sucks as a burglar alarm.

technomaNge

Reply to
technomaNge

Suck it ?

Reply to
Effenpig1

I don't know anything about the HTC but I did hear that Google is offering their own unlockd Cell phone and international calling is real inexpensive. I wasn't interested so that's all I know about it.

Reply to
Jim

Yeah, I think it's called the Nexus, you can get it unlocked for $600 or with a T-mobile plan. The weird thing is from what I saw they only offer it with one plan, and that plan is $80 per mo. and has 500 minutes?? Why they wouldn't offer it with a bigger plan is beyond me.

I've been looking at smart phones for a while, I'm tired of reading reviews. I want something with full HTML browser, full email (pop3), and wifi. Also a full slide out keyboard

Reply to
Effenpig1

Effenpig1 wrote: > I've been looking at smart phones for a while, I'm tired of reading

I just got a Droid. Pretty cool. Adds $30/mo to my existingVerizon plan. Will also tether to my laptop with a free app., and no extra monthly chg.

Reply to
alarman

The Google phone is made by HTC, I've seen and played with one and it's very nice although not enough to make me switch from the iPhone

Reply to
mleuck

It's a good phone but I'll save you the trouble and recommend the iPhone

You must worship at the feet of Steve Jobs....Steve.....Jobs..

Reply to
mleuck

to provide 3-g for your laptop?

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Yes.

Reply to
alarman

Darn. I may need to get a new phone. I hated the idea of getting a separate cellular adaptor for my laptop, but Internet access makes finalling a lot of jobs a lot easier. Its nice to be able to get tech documents in real time, read the actual and complete signals received from the CS, or get e-mail support on site.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I'm with you there. I have an iPhone 3G. Tethers to my laptop. Makes working away from the office a "breeze". I wouldn't leave home without it. That and the Starbucks card (I call it my Amurikan Expresso card). :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

RHC: Not wanting to spend big money on a new cellphone (after I just bought two), I tried the 3G Network Adapter for my laptop from Bell Canada. It was damned expensive at $30 a month more on my cellphone bill, but it works superbly on a customer site for access to the Internet. Log on, activate the celluar unit from wherever you are, and go (plus all the things Bob mentioned)....pretty slick, but way overpriced (hey, what isn't here in Canada when it comes to wireless.....). Roaming with the unit is out of the question...in US, the cost is $3 a megabyte !!!!!!!

Maybe if I can find a cellphone add on solution at a cheaper price, I'll dump this puppy.....

Reply to
tourman

What laptop do you have? If it's fairly new you can get an intergrated WWAN module for it. Like this one for example: (HP hs2300 HSDPA Broadband Wireless Module)

formatting link

Reply to
G. Morgan

A friend of mine is sending me his iphone 3gs, he got it slightly wet and the camera stopped working for a while. He bought a new one in the meantime. I'm going to have to unlock it though, since I use a different GSM carrier then AT&T. I'm leaning towards on of the online unlocking services, seems much simpler and risk free compared to the manual process and or turbo sim.

Reply to
Effenpig1

I have the 2nd gen 3G, they don't like getting wet and my home button is stubborn sometimes, the real draw to the phone is the apps and a lot of security vendors like Honeywell and Alarm.com make apps for it and the Blackberry

Reply to
mleuck

Yeah, pretty much all of my alarm.com customers that have an iphone or blackberry use the alarm.com app and think it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Reply to
Effenpig1

Too bad alarm.com only works with GE stuff

Reply to
mleuck

I take it you don't like GE "stuff"

Reply to
Effenpig1

No GE stuff's good although I don't care for the Simon XT, I just wish Alarm.com would work with DSC and/or Honeywell

Reply to
mleuck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.