On defeating alarm systems

Seems to me this is an; insurance, amount of security -vs- cost, and "you get what you pay for" thing.

In my experience, it seems *very* rare that an alarm system is defeated. And those who know how to do this already know it and will continue to share their knowledge with their "buddies".

Insurance companies look at their stats - If there are too many losses, they will require additional security (which costs more of course). This could be additional electronic security, additional physical security, or both.

And for the stuff needing protection which *really* counts, it is protected exceptionally well electronically as well as physically.

And then for extra very high security needs... There are "custom" alarm systems. No other like them anywhere. One of a kind. The guys at the security company have trouble figuring out how they work, let alone an intruder!

So all this nonsense in movies showing an intruder placing jumper wires in an alarm control box to "bypass" the system is not very realistic if you ask me. Not going to happen on systems which really count.

To show you the knowledge of your basic intruder. They don't know what sensors are where. And alarm companies keep them guessing. Sometimes there are "dummy" exposed contacts, but "real" concealed contacts. They bypass the "dummy contact", but get caught by the concealed sensor and a silent alarm.

Then there was the case where a business *only* had an alarm in the ceiling - nowhere else! You could smash the window, walk right in, and never trip the alarm. Well some clown came in through the ceiling - got caught! (This business was cheap - had a bunch of ceiling entries, so that is the only place they wired for the alarm.) But other similar businesses have sensors everywhere. No telling which business has what sensor or where it is located, if it is a "dummy" sensor, or if it is real. In the ceiling or not in the ceiling.

So if you are worried about your system being defeated... Well, systems which would be targeted by those who know how to do it would have insurance company requirements which would make doing this exceptionally difficult. And if you don't have any special insurance company requirements, then you're likely to attract a lesser skilled type who would smash, grab, and run (and not know how to bypass the alarm). So your basic alarm will do.

So just keep your insurance up-to-date. They will tell you when additional security is required and what is needed. If losses are low, for your area and type of business , then not to worry.

Reply to
Bill
Loading thread data ...

Agreed on both counts. There's little that gets posted here that would help a would-be thief.

The other gentleman mentioned having made a substantial effort to improve the physical security of his property. In all probability that's of more value than the alarm system in its entirety, let alone the EOLR's.

Well, that is what is supposed to be done. It isn't always done though. :(

Reply to
Robert L Bass

WHAT??? You mean they actually make some of this stuff up for the movies???

Reply to
Matt Ion

I'm not in the alarm business, but I find it silly that most of the time in the movies when a bad guy rewires an alarm box to defeat it, the box itself isn't in a protected area! I can't speak for most installations but the ones I've noticed have all the alarm components inside the building, protected by, at least, a nearby motion detector. Obviously if there's a delay and the keypad and control box are in the same place one could simply rip it out of the wall, but that's easily avoided by putting an instant-trigger motion detector in front of the box and not having the keypad nearby.

Reply to
Shaun Eli

That is the truest thing posted here in quite a while.

Regarding the likelihood of a system being defeated its more a matter of risk vs. reward.

A typical home or business doesn't attract the type of attack that could defeat a decent COTS security system. However, there are facilities that are much more attrative to those who could defeat such systems. That's why there's DCID 6/9, the NISPOIM, UL2050, etc. These documents establish standards for physical and electronic security necessary to ensure important assets remain secured. NIST approved encryption for control signals, 5 minute alarm response, 4 step motion detection, line security, etc. are examples of what might be found in such an installation.

Reply to
J. Sloud

there are very easy ways to defeat alarm systems which requires little knowledge of alarm systems., and even easier to defeat a CCTV system.

Reply to
cctvbahamas

That's Hollywood for ya.

Reply to
Matt Ion

My favorite silly Hollywood stunt is the glass cutter, string and suction cup nonsense. It's amazing how many people actually believe that works.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

It's amazing how many people actually believe you work (in the trade).

Reply to
Frank Olson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.