Huge Amount of E-Bay Fraud Going on Online

I've noticed a curious building here in Brazoria, Texas. It's an old two-story frame building with an ancient sign painted on the front:

DAVIS BARBER SHOP AND GENERAL INSURANCE AGENCY PH. OFFICE 92 RES 116

I suppose the idea of a combination barber shop and insurance agency would catch most people's attention. But of course it was those phone numbers that caught my attention.

When I first noticed the building, it was standing vacant, and looked like it was about to fall down. A couple of years ago, the City of Brazoria cited the building for several code violations, and ordered the owner to either fix it up or tear it down. The owner decided to renovate it, and hired a local contractor.

One day I noticed the contractor installing siding. I stopped to ask him if he was going to cover the sign. He sort of shrugged and muttered something to the effect that he hadn't thought about it. I mentioned the phone numbers. That got his attention -- apparently he hadn't realized they were phone numbers. He said "you mean like..." and poked an imaginary touchtone dial a couple of times. No, I explained ... back in those days, you picked up the telephone and asked the operator to connect you. He stared at the sign for a few seconds, shrugged, and went back to work. I took a couple pictures, figuring that I'd never see that sign again.

The sign is still visible today, although the building is still vacant. The contractor left an opening in the vinyl siding just large enough for the old sign.

I've always wondered if my brief conversation about phone numbers saved that sign.

formatting link
Neal McLain

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Thanks for passing along those pictures! PAT]
Reply to
Neal McLain
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.