Nick update 2#

Not sn "expert". Just a student.

Actually, I have a private pilot's license these days. I've never flown for an airline.

Try "insurance adjuster".

Check.

I don't think people have a problem believing me. They have a problem believing you though. In all the years I've been participating in this newsgroup you have yet to been able to substantiate any of your asinine assertions. You lie like a rug, Bass.

And when all else fails, threaten them with a gun.

Check. The "competition" doesn't use lies, innuendo, and baseless accusations. You, OTOH, are a "master baiter". You're a coward as well.

Reply to
Frank Olson
Loading thread data ...

Which discipline? Just curious...

Reply to
JoeRaisin

Disciplines. Kick-boxing (I've got a green belt, my son - who has way more time and goes to more classes - just got his brown) and Kendo. And just lately my son also "roped" me into taking Kyudo (Japanese archery). Both of us wanted some experience with hand to hand fighting before taking up weapons. Our kick-boxing instructor teaches some of the Krav Maga techniques I observed on the videos in the link I posted earlier. It's interesting how some of the disciplines "cross over".

Reply to
Frank Olson

Third grade it seems.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Kick boxing is great but I just don't have the quick reflexes and get hit way too much. A grappling technique makes for a good adjunct though, even for those who are quick enough.

I had a buddy while I was in Japan who did Kendo - It's impressive to watch. I never did try it (reference my comment on my reflexes). I am pretty good with a knife though.

I suppose the disciplines cross over because there are only so many ways to punch someone in the head or kick them in the jewels. IMHO, the key is to get used to physical combat so that finding yourself in such a situation isn't a shock, and then having developed muscle memory for various techniques so that in the heat of battle all you have to do is decide what you want to do and your body carries out the order on its own. Since you're not distracted by thinking about the kick you're launching or making sure your fingers are gripping the wrist just so, you can be deciding what to do next or figuring out your opponents strategy.

For me, to be honest, it is about confidence. I was pretty much a punching bag growing up. I was in the best shape I had ever been in when I went into the Marines at 19, and while I still stood 6'1" I only weighed between 135 and 140 pounds depending on what I had for breakfast. During the initial strength test I couldn't do three pull ups and barely finished the first 1 mile run. Our first time at the confidence course I didn't even make it half way up the biggest rope (about 30').

Three months later I weighed 180, could do 20 pull ups and made my final three mile run in just over 20 minutes. On our last visit to the confidence course I had to go up two ropes, one in each hand (that way there is no way to use the legs).

Having gotten in shape and learned how to defend myself made a huge difference in how I felt about myself and life in general. That's one of the reasons I pushed my boys into martial arts.

When I went to the instructors course for hand to hand combat one of my instructors used to say that it gives any argument a whole different feel when you realize that the only reason the other person isn't dead is because you have made the choice NOT to kill them.

I find it calming...

Reply to
JoeRaisin

Ouch!

Reply to
G. Morgan

And I'd call this a "kindegarden" response, Bass. If you're trying for "one up-man-ship", I'd say you were "shooting blanks" (which I understand you're *also* an expert at).

Reply to
Frank Olson

I can't argue with you there. I practiced Judo when I was young (thirteen to fifteen) to help boost my confidence. In the high school I went to guys were always getting beat up.

I hear ya. I don't know whether it wouldn't be more humane to finish them off though. Some of the injuries we can inflict will leave a would-be attacker permanently disabled. I don't think many would be able to recover from a knee strike (or having their elbow joint suddenly reversed). As for having someone gouge out an eye ball... That would just plain suck.

But only when they're disarmed, lying on the ground, writhing in agony and you're holding their eyeballs... ;-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

Reply to
nick markowitz

With a positive attitude you'll do it. But remember, at our age we DON'T bounce back as quickly as we once did. Take your time and and make it a complete and permanent recovery.

Good luck

Reply to
JoeRaisin

Boy, isn't that the truth. It takes me three days to recover from a hangnail.

Reply to
alarman

I know a lot of old geezers in the alarm, electrical, carpentry and mechanical professions. Granted, most take the elevator if it's convenient. Me, I like climbing stairs. The one drawback (from what I can see) is that these days I'm a whole lot more "intimate" with my doctor than I'd ever thought I'd be. Seeing as how both my parents died of the "big C", I'm a whole lot more careful of my diet too. :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.