is CDP really layer 2 ?

My routers are connected each other through Hub with FastEthernet cables. When I looked into cdp packet captured by Ethereal software, I found CDP packet looks like this:

IEEE 802.3 Ethernet //layer2 Logical-Link Control //layer3 Cisco Discovery Protocol //layer4

Why CDP protocol is called as layer 2 ? Also if I get CDP packet over serial cable(PPP?), is CDP still layer 2 ? I think PPP protocol is layer 2.

I'm so confused. Help me out..

Reply to
jh3ang
Loading thread data ...

CDP is a layer 2 protocol ( data link layer).

"Logical Link Control layer

In the Open Systems Interconnection (OSI) model of communication, the Logical Link Control layer is one of two sublayers of the Data-Link layer and is concerned with managing traffic (flow and error control) over the physical medium."

Reply to
Merv

further

CDP is a layer 2 discovery protocol allowing one to find out about the physical toplogy of a network.

It is not a data link protocol like HDLC or PPP for transporting higher layer protocols

Reply to
Merv

Thanks for wonderful answer !!

Reply to
jh3ang

Thanks for wonderful answer !!

Reply to
jh3ang

"jh3ang" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

CDP is layer-2, and if you think closely, you will notice that CDP will run even though you do not have an IP address on a interface. Hence it can not be L3 or higher.

The fact that its layer-2 makes you able to verify connectivity, eventhough the upper protocol are not running, and hence it can be very usefull in throubleshhoting various problems.

HTH Martin Bilgrav

Reply to
Martin Bilgrav

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.