New Vehicle Options

Our lease is up sometime this year on our 06? Ford Freestar. Checking Ford's site, I see they no longer have vans (maybe just not online, maybe not at all).

So now that I'm looking at different options, I'm wondering what everyone here uses for their installations/service vehicles.

On my wishlist (however far that'll get me with management), would be the same van with more ground clearance and 4WD. Of course such a thing doesn't exist from Ford's lineup. I've bottomed out this van so much I'm surprised it hasn't damaged anything yet. And I've been stuck far too many times in the winter (even in our own driveway... twice). Otherwise, it's been a great van.

Any suggestions and little details would be great.

- Chris

Reply to
CH®IS
Loading thread data ...
07? Ford E-150, Weather Guard racks and stuff...nice. I get 16 mpg, not bad for a van I guess.
Reply to
Crash Gordon

Installation vans are full size Chevs with ladder racks. Service vans we have are Chev Astros - no side or rear windows. We're doing a good deal more outdoor CCTV with the contract we got recently. We're looking at a "slightly used" ex-Shaw Cable van with a roof-top bucket at the moment... I figure it'll come in handy when I string the Christmas lights this year... :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

Move to Florida and open an online store. No snow. No van. Lots of sunshine and bikini clad women. Parties all the time. What more could you ask for?

Gotta go for now. It's time to pick up the beer and soda for today's party. Hope you're having a great Fourth of July holiday.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

RHC: Well for a vehicle ONLY for sales and after sale service - no or few installations - I looked around and came up with a European style "mini van" made by Kia called the Rondo (called the Carens in Europe). It's a four banger, good on gas, with tremendous storage space. In a pinch, I can easily store a 6 foot ladder plus everything I would normally need for installation as well. My situation is somewhat unique, so I don't suggest this as an option for any sort of commercial alarm and security company, but as a small zip around vehicle that doubles as a service vehicle, it fits the bill perfectly. I notice a lot of local alarmco's use the Volkswagen bug as a vehicle for their sales staff, but this vehicle has that one beat hands down for "dual usage"IMO. Actual mileage 25 to 28 miles per Canadian gallon in the city and 30 to 34 on the highway (Note: US gallon is 1/8 smaller than our equivalent). It's also completely equipped and a lot of fun to drive, and very inexpensive to buy (plus 5 year 60,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty)

Reply to
tourman

Isn't that the one with the little trap door at the bottom of the driver and passenger doors? Going up hills you need to give it a little help with an occasional skate board push off.

Reply to
Jim

Wrong minivan... This one has pedals and handlebars.

Reply to
Frank Olson

I figure it'll come in handy when I string the Christmas

you bet it will come handy, thats the first thing I found that i was missing when I took my new job (Union rep)

Reply to
Petem

RHC: Ok Frank, you guys go ahead and laugh, but it's the most intelligently designed vehicle I've ever owned...:)) You wait and see; when gas rises to $2 a litre, how many alarmco's are going to have to abandon their gas guzzlers for a more fuel and space efficient vehicle. This is just one of many of the new breed of "urban utility vehicles" in the process of being released by a host of manufacturers. As part of working smarter rather than harder, your company should take a long hard look at these small minivans. Access to tools is far better than any other van or truck, their 2.4 litre engine is fuel efficient, and powerful as hell, their storage space is absolutely amazing, and their warranty is second to none. What's not to like if they fit the business in question ?

Here's a link to a writeup with specs. I'm only sorry I didn't find out about this vehicle before....

formatting link

Reply to
tourman

Bob,

My technicians switched from Dodge and Chevy vans to Toyota pickups with tool tops many years ago. They were more efficient, cost less and provide easier access to tools and supplies. I no longer do service calls (thank God) so the only van I have is a Honda Odyssey Touring model. I don't care about tool access but the removable / configurable seats, GPS, DVR and voice activated everything are nice. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

RHC: Since I got the Rondo (in red just like the illustration), it's so much fun to drive, I haven't even bothered with the motorcycle. It's the only vehicle I've ever owned with a stereo that actually sounds good. My gas consumption from the Ford Ranger is down about

1/2, and the tools for service work are just so much more accessible. As well, it has huge storage bins built in beneath the flat rear storage area, where I carry loads of replacement lock and alarm parts and tools, all hidden from view. It's such a beautifully designed vehicle for sales and light (and not so light) service work, that I may actually end up buying this one at the end of the four year lease even when I will no longer be in business. I looked at the Toyota Yaris, Echo, and Matrix but this was much better value all round than any of the others with more storage space than any of the others.

I may even sell my six cylinder Dodge Caravan and buy another one of these. I swear the Rondo will carry just as much. I'll probably use it to go to Florida as well. This vehicle is definately a "sleeper" and I imagine that this new type of vehicle will become quite popular over time (it is now in Europe where they call it the Carens)

Reply to
tourman

these. I swear the Rondo will carry just as much. I'll probably use it to go to Florida as well...

There's plenty of room in my driveway when you get here. If you don't bring a bike maybe you can ride one of mine. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

If you're willing to live with the lower power and any other inconveniences, then it's ok. Me, having been in business so long, and having customers with equipment strung out over so many years, there's just too much stuff to fit in a minivan. I've pretty much got whatever I need in the van, to service 90% of my accounts. Not the big stuff like panels etc, but things like foil and foil takeoffs, butterfly switches, two wire smokes and 4 wire smokes, a replacement rock for over the cave door ...... etc,etc.

My solution has to be ..... raise my pricing to cover the increase of the cost of doing business. And that's what most will do.

Now, I know this is rather a bizarre suggestion to you but ..... if you CAN do with the smaller van, it allows you the opportunity to make more money. And I know this is a foreign thought for you but ..... you see, if you can reduce your costs and all your competition is raising their prices to compensate for increased cost, you can ALSO raise your prices ( not necessarily as much as the competition, but just enough so you still win the sale) raising your profit margin.

But ...... but ...... no no, don't let me interfere with your regular way of thinking. I'm just remembering how much it means to you to give your business away to your customers.

So, I'm sorry for bringing it up ..... ummmm just forget I said anything.

Reply to
Jim

Here we go again.

Letters from "The Far Side"

Reply to
Jim

I saw a Rondo a couple days ago around town. My biggest concern on space is the 6' ladder. How exactly do you fit one into a Rondo? And yes, of course it needs to be inside whichever vehicle we go with... the multi-million dollar houses with white carpet and mud-bogger-paradise driveways wouldn't have it any other way.

Our sales guy has had a Kia Sportage (2005ish) for about a year now. Considering the way he drives, and the fact it still runs, it seems Kia may be reliable enough at this point. The only problem other than the ladder would be the apparent lack of a 4wd option on the Rondo.

Reply to
CH®IS

Get a 17' Little Giant ladder. I had one for years and it would fold small enough to fit in the trunk of my old Camry. They're heavy but solid as a rock.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.