New home, new alarm... major co. or independent?

I don't want to start the never ending debate about ADT vs. Brinks vs. Independents. I used the search function and I see what is going on with that. All that said I do have some questions that hopefully can be answered without starting a firestorm.

I am moving into a 2 story home with an unfinished full basement (no walkout, no crawl space.) There are 4 doors to the outside including the sliding glass. There are 20 main floor and basement windows total. The upstairs windows are only accessible by ladder. I would like smokes on all 3 floors, 2 water and 2 CO detectors as well as exterior siren and light. Some form of phone cut system either radio backup or simply firing the alarm off in the event of a cut line is a must. Motions are a big question because in my present home we find ourselves never using them if we are home since we move about so much, 2 adults and 1 small child. We don't have pets but a dog (medium size) is likely in the future. I assume I will be using window contacts and not glass breaks unless someone thinks otherwise, we don't open the windows too much at night. 3 full panels will be needed and I would prefer wired unless it would require extensive damage to the home to install.

We have had ADT and had no real issues in our townhome but the system is very simple. I am mainly intrested in getting as modern technology as possible, keeping the costs of mointoring low but still with great mointoring service. It seems many suggest an independent but I have NO IDEA, none at all where to start to find an independent in suburban Chicago other than the yellow pages and that leaves me with no idea about the quality of their service or products.

With a house like mine, and my needs (total perimeter protection, additonal smoke, water, CO detection, radio backup etc.) what would you guys do? If you say "go independent" how can I even start to be knowledgeable to find a company that will have top notch products, install and monitoring for a good price?

Thanks

Reply to
canyonblue
Loading thread data ...

Another question for you to consider...

How independent do you want to be in terms of servicing the system?

As a fellow homeowner, I would agree that a hardwire system is going to be more reliable, in general, than a wireless system. However, if you have a difficult house to wire, most alarm companies are going to balk at giving you any deals on a wired system, charge you full price ($1500 - $2000 or more), or convince you to go wireless for the convenience of their installers. For a wired system, they might, for example, have to run some of the wires on the surface of your walls, if a convenient fish run is not possible.

The free or heavily discounted alarm systems are based on the model of the hope to make up the cost by signing you up to a long-term monitoring contract.

My preference is to pay the actual cost for the work done to get a decent hard-wired system, and then find an independent monitoring service that either charges month-by-month or will have contracts no longer than a year (with discounts). If you own the system, you have the power. You will have to be more pro-active about maintenance, maybe learning more about the system yourself from the programming and maintenance manuals, but you will save a ton of money in the long run.

On the other hand, if money is no object, and you like the big companies like ADT, etc. you may or may not get better service.

Beachcomber

Reply to
Beachcomber

ADT uses a slightly modified Honeywell Vista 20P control panel for almost all residential sytems. This is one of the most commonly used panels by quality idependent alarmcos as well, so the equipment is going to be about the same in most cases. I'm not sure what Brinks uses, but I think it's some type of proprietary equipment. If you want to go the home automation route with integrated security, that's a whole different game. As far as picking a company, references from people in your local area are the best source. The two most important factors are the quality of installation and the timeliness of service after the sale. You also want to check into exactly who will be monitoring your alarm signals. Some independents operate their own monitoring stations, but most contract to a third party. Make sure who ever it is operates a UL listed central station. While not foolproof, a UL listing gives you some reassurances that the station has at least some quality control. If you choose to go with a national company, make sure you are dealing with a corporate branch office and not some authorized dealer. Again, that should offer at least some measure of quality control. Hardwired systems are generally more trouble for the alarmco to install, but less trouble for the homeowner to maintain. Make sure whoever designs the system layout knows what they are doing and that the installer knows what he is doing. Finding people that view this as a craft is difficult, but it's important that the installation be done right. It's not rocket science, but there are a lot of tricks of the trade that can mean the difference between a reliable system and a false alarm nightmare that doesn't work when you need it. The best thing is to get mulitple quotes and compare the designs, pricing, and equipment offered by each company.

Reply to
J.

I don't know where you live but you could start here to find a dealer that could offer both nation and local service.

Reply to
Roland Moore

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.