New home - Essential Wiring?

I am currently building a new house. I am almost to the point of insulating and sheetrock so before i made that step i wanted to ask here if there are any suggestions as to extra wiring i should run to be ready to add some home automation equipment in the future. I have little to no experience in this but it is something i definitely want to get into with this house. I have no attic so it will be a major pain to add wiring after the fact.

I have cat 5 cable run to all the rooms but i was curious as to weather i should run it to the thermostat and or utility closet? i would like to be able to control the heating a/c eventually but i'm not sure what type of cable if any i will need in place to facilitate that.

or anything else that will be helpful in the future.

thanks!

Reply to
tosh
Loading thread data ...

Absolutely. Also run CAT5 from the wiring closet to the furnace room.

In addition to data cable, consider running wire (22/4 solid) for door sensors and motion detectors. This will give whatever home automation system you choose a way to know when people enter/exit and when someone is at home.

Many of my home automation clients also like to wire the windows if they can be opened from the outside. By "bugging" the windows and doors you provide the HA system with the ability to protect against burglary

-- a nice fringe benefit. The magnetic sensors (called "contacts") for protecting doors and windows are quite inexpensive, on the order of $2-4 apiece.

Some people like to wire for remote speakers which can connect to the home's main stereo system. This can be as simple as 16/4 stranded cable running to a volume control located next to the light switch in each room and 16/2 running from there to the two speakers. More elaborate systems require a CAT5 cable run to the volume control as well. You can even run shielded video cable to the rooms if you like.

There are lots more things which you can prewire for at this stage but those are some of the most commonly done.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

That's why I long ago decided that the next house I build will have walls containing a network of minimum 2" PVC tubing as wiring channels, with access plates in each room, so I can easily pull anything, anywhere, any time.

-- Larry

Reply to
pltrgyst

One of the BEST examples of a wiring closet I've ever seen put together by a "DIY" is the one "BruceR" has on his website. Maybe he'll be kind enough to provide the link for you.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Yep, this is how it should be done.

Reply to
JanK

Why waste the money? Sure, having conduits running between major distribution points is a good idea. And running it to places that aren't easy to access. But most indoor walls are such that it's pretty easy to run new wire. Conduit is not the instant panacea some might think. That and when you've got wires already in a conduit and you want to run more you do risk damaging the existing wiring. Blue (smurf) tube can be a lot more difficult to add to than hard conduit. Then there are also bend radius issues that have to be taken into account.

And for what? Most wiring isn't going to change. If it's planned well there's really not much point in bothering with the added cost of 'conduit everywhere'.

Put the conduit in places where you're really likely to make additions/changes. And if you do have major distribution points make sure you put in MORE conduit than current/near needs demand. But everywhere? Spend the money on something else.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.