NetTalk Duo VoIP

"Jim Rojas" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion : SCRjp.4766$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe09.iad...

I was thinking about adding a timer or relay schedule to power cycle the router, cable modem, & NetTalk unit everyday about 3am. We all know that a router or modem can lock up for no good reason at any given time.

Jim Rojas Technical Manuals Online!

formatting link
Cornwall Lane Tampa, FL 33615-4604

813-884-6335

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You should look at a router that can run DD-WRT

its a special firmware that run on some router and it can test itself for connection to the world and reboot itself on schedule or on no connection to some ip adress.

formatting link
very stable but not on all router, need a router that can run the std version, the micro is not as stable..

Reply to
<petem001
Loading thread data ...

"Doug" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion :

8yTjp.2350$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe15.iad...

What you'll see is how well the device works on your home/office line at the time of testing.

Unfortunately since its Voip and subject to the same issues as any other Voip service it won't tell you much about how it will perform in the field tomorrow, next week or next month.

Other than using it for voice, fax and possibly using it for downloading I'm not sure what attraction this device holds for anyone in the alarm industry, if the customer has no land line and has broadband then they probably already have Voip of some sort and liability wise you would probably be better off using their Voip (with a suitable disclaimer), rather than you providing or recommending a Voip device for them to use.

If they have no land line or Voip but have broadband, then in my opinion you would be better off using an IP communicator.

With the low cost of cellular devices and the low monthly rates available I prefer to use cellular for backup for those customers who choose to use Voip for their alarm service.

Doug

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

one way to be sure its working ok is to use a router that can do QOS. (quality of service)

If you program the router properly it will assign a part of the bandwith to the ip adress and/or the ip port used for the voip device.

One way to have QOS for cheap is using dd-wrt as the firmware of your router.

on my side I use a buffallo router model whr-hp-g54

even have a strong wifi signal..

Reply to
<petem001

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's fine for the router, but the cable modem needs to be reset as well. I am using a WRT320N with DD-WRT installed on it...works like a charm. My Cable modem does has wireless G, but I connect to the WRT320N for faster speed.

formatting link

813-884-6335
Reply to
Jim Rojas

That's fine for the router, but the cable modem needs to be reset as well. I am using a WRT320N with DD-WRT installed on it...works like a charm. My Cable modem does has wireless G, but I connect to the WRT320N for faster speed.

formatting link

813-884-6335

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Never had to reset my cable modem since I have it ( 7 years) Even if I wanted it has a battery pack in it and wont reset on power failure , its the kind of cable modem that provide 2 jack for digital phone (rebranded ip phone)

I dont use the phone part anymore, but they didnt took back the modem.

Reply to
Petem

I have never rebooted my cable modem (except for power outages) in 10 years and can't remember when I needed to do the same with my Netgear router.

Reply to
mleuck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.