Need Ladder Info

Looking for a ladder I was told about. It is a step ladder in which there is an extension up through the middle. So I guess at it's full extension it would look like a piece sign (???).

Sounds scary as hell, but may be the a real time saver on an upcoming job. Looking for pictures of one to see what the hell I'd be dealing with. If it looks TOO stupid I'll pass.

I tried googling "extension step ladder" and various other sequences of those words but nothing that looks like what was described to me.

Hope someone can help.

Reply to
JoeRaisin
Loading thread data ...

Never mind - it's a "trestle ladder" and just looking at a picture of it gives a pucker factor of 15 out of 10.

People climb these things?

Reply to
JoeRaisin

We had one where I used to work. It was nicknamed "The Widowmaker". And no, I never got on it!

Reply to
G. Morgan

And they are heavy as hell....

Reply to
G. Morgan

Yeah, looked 'em up on the werner site.

The 10' step with a 15' extension height (which is what we would need for the job in mind) weighs 95 lbs and runs btwn 700 & 800 bucks or more depending on where you buy it.

It's a commercial fire job, have to get to red iron 4-5 ft above drop ceiling. Ceiling height just over 10 ft. One of those deals where ya have to use an 8' or 10' ladder to remove the tile, then stick the 12' up through to fit the beam clamp & bridle ring. (Though we are starting to lean towards J-hooks on 2' threaded rod - One team can run through setting supports and everyone else can pull the NAC wires off of just a

10 footer)

The two ladder deal is a real PITA when ya gotta pull every third tile or so to make the support requirement.

Looking at somewhere in the neighborhood of 150 horn/strobes, mostly ceiling mounted. Huge national chain department store - the same one I was talking about where that telephone punk tried to torpedo me.

BTW, Ever use the hammer-on beam clamps? They look pretty secure and it seems it would be a major time saver.

Reply to
JoeRaisin

No, but I have used powder-actuated guns to install my own hangars (just like the drop-tile hangers). I wouldn't even mess with having to go up there to clamp.

Reply to
G. Morgan

I've seen these things advertised occasionally through the years. I can't imagine how anyone without a death wish would ever consider climbing up that extension.

Isn't there some kind of "ladder association" or agency or something that set's ladder safety standards? I always see all kinds of instructions, proper use and warnings on ladders ..... no step, proper angle etc, etc. I can only guess that this one has one message on it.

If you're stupid, use this ladder.

Reply to
Jim

Ya know ..... I was just thinking about this a little bit and I think I know how this ladder is supposed to be used.

If you need a step ladder, you just use the step ladder part.

If you need an extension ladder you don't open up the step ladder part, you just extend the extension and lean it against the wall ..... or what ever.

Duuuuuuh!

Reply to
Jim

Nope. It's for going vertical.

Reply to
G. Morgan

I have worked off them and you are suppose to wear a harness which holds you in place My climbing harness I use to climb towers works great on it. The middle section is actually very sturdy when ladder is unfolded. I am use to climbing on all kinds of structures , towers and cranes so it is not a big deal for me but for a first time user it can be very scary. they make step ladders to 14' you can rent and one man lifts as well.

Reply to
nick markowitz

A harness? Holy crap!

So you're telling me that you climb up this step ladder, tie yourself to the extension part, climb to the top of the extension and when it falls over, since you moved too much to one side or the other, because the spread of the step ladder isn't wide enough to support a weight higher than the apex of the triangle, you get the opportunity to ride the whole way down to the cement without the chance of trying to break your fall, cuz ...... yep, you guessed it ..... you're tied to the ladder.

Sounds like something out of a Dumb and Dumber movie.

Reply to
Jim

The ladders are very sturdy and solid despite there design so toppling is not very likely. That said only experienced people should be using them there not for an amateur to set up.

Reply to
nick markowitz

For that matter any time your over 6 ft on ladder your suppose to have a full harness on. Since I do mostly industrial you follow OSHA rules or you do not work. I have been on plenty of sites where they have sent contractors packing for not following safety rules.

Reply to
nick markowitz

It's highly unlikely. Those things are built solid (at least the Werner brand).

After all, that's what it's designed for. The notion of using a 100 lb. ladder as a multi-ladder for everyday use is ridiculous. Plus, they don't even work that way (as an extension ladder).

Most definitely. My contribution was helping carrying the beast, and get it set-up. I wouldn't get on it!

Sometimes that's not possible. In fact, sometimes attempting to tie-off is dangerous in itself. I use my better judgment, and knowing where the safety dude helps too, hopefully out to lunch.

I've seen them cut extension cords, cut cords off power tools, and cutting ladders in half.

Reply to
G. Morgan

I do not work with contractors that are not safe most safety is common sense. if you have none you should not be working. and cutting out paper dollies instead.

Reply to
nick markowitz

A few years ago, someone at a local Home Depot made a statement to OSHA.

They got a maniquin and dressed him up in work clothes and safety gear.

He had a hard hat, ear plugs, goggles, air filter facemask, suspenders, back brace, elbow pads, wrist braces, yellow rubber work golves, jock strap ( on the outside of his work overalls) knee pads, shin pads, steel toe shoes and what ever else you can think of. Was really hysterical.

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.