More Brinks stuff for sale.

Loading thread data ...

formatting link

that guys in big trouble now. binky cableman will git him. oooweee!

Reply to
bud

formatting link

There's tons of yard signs for sale as well. All you have to do is enter "Brinks" in the search engine on eBay. Is Brinks really contemplating shutting down eBay as well? I figure they do a whole lot more in the way of harm to them than Jim could ever do. Wow... Look at all that "IP".

Reply to
Frank Olson

Its called selective enforcement of their so called IP. Which on appeal can get their entire judgement tossed on its ass.

Jim Rojas

Frank Ols>> Frank Ols>>>

formatting link

Reply to
Jim Rojas

I seem to recall reading an article about an agency saying they needed to vigorously enforce all enfringements of their copyright or they could risk losing their copyright.

I do not recall that they mentioned intellectual property.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

So what is a yard sign considered? If it's a genuine Brinks yard sign, would Brinks consider that they "own" it as well? What about the keypads that are for sale (there are three "premium" ones at the time of my last search)?

Reply to
Frank Olson

I looked at your site and didn't see any pictures from the bus trip. Did you decide to skip out? Should we look for you somewhere under the bus?

formatting link
>>>

Reply to
Just Looking

He didn't go. Gasp!!! :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

Reply to
Just Looking

No. Jim's far to polite to ever say that (even to a judge).

He was unable to go for personal reasons I won't reveal here. If Jim wants to, that's different.

While we're on the subject, I wrote an email to Brink's attorney. I haven't heard "squeak". I've also managed to resolve the issue of "Tech Help!" with my hosting provider. To make a long story short, if Brinks is able to provide me with details of where their IP or Copyright has been violated, I've advised them I would remove the software immediately. I also referred them to my disclaimer and requested that future communications should be directed to me as I'm in a better position to judge whether-or-not "Tech Help!" poses a threat to them (or the security community at large). Jim posting the default installer code for their panels is not, in my opinion, a threat unless they're dumb enough not to change it. And if they are, in fact, only "renting" equipment, then local programming lock-out should be enabled to prevent

*anyone* from accessing installer level programming.

All of this, of course, raises another question. Why would Brinks choose to "dumb down" and eliminate some of the user features available on the standard Vista panel? I can't for the life of my figure out why they would want to eliminate something as important as keypad supervision (for instance). On a UL Res Fire certified system, they'd have to disable the "fire buttons" on those keypads. Seems to me that makes selling against them pretty easy. Perhaps that's the reason they want everything to do with their equipment to remain in their domain (as if *that's* going to "keep it secret").

eBay is actively auctioning Brinks yard signs and stickers. They've only recently sold a complete Brinks system (brand new and in a sealed box). Where do you imagine the sellers are getting this stuff? Why aren't Brinks attorneys shutting down

formatting link
(or at the very least getting them to pull their collection of Brinks user manuals)? I just don't get it. Is Jim a "fall guy" because they figure he's a "push-over" and it'll be easy to obtain a judgment? Once they get it will they be able to use that against other individuals? I can't see how a "default judgment" against Jim would work for them because they still haven't managed to actually identify the IP they're defending.

Jim says they're at around the 50K mark. I can believe that. Sableman won't come cheap, but sooner or later, someone at Brinks is going to start asking some hard questions.

Reply to
Frank Olson

What if you collected hood ornaments? Would Mercedes-Benz come after me if I was selling their hood ornaments on the internet, after all it is their trademark?

I say Oye and Patouey to Binky and their ilk.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

If you were making unauthorized copies of them yea

Reply to
Mark Leuck

So then selling Brinkly's lawn signs should be ok too huh?

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Some> > He told the judge to "fumar de wiener"?

Reply to
Roland Moore

I couldn't agree with you more. Jim has NEVER offered to rent the programmers to anyone that ISN'T in the trade. I, for one, simply can't understand why someone would even consider taking over a Brinks system. The keypad looks like crap. It would be a service headache because you'd need the programmer anytime you wanted to make changes. You can't download the sucker because you'd need the "Brinks software personality" to make the Compass program work. And then (most likely) the you wouldn't be able to program the communication fields anyway. Rip the crap out and replace it with a *real* alarm system.

Reply to
Frank Olson

In theory no, in reality yes

Reply to
Mark Leuck

scratch that, in theory yes in reality no

Reply to
Mark Leuck

That's why there's so much of the Brinks crap on eBay - gets ripped out and sold poor slobs that don't know any better.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Heh... And then they post here for help after they've called Brinks to discover they don't even *own* the equipment they bought on eBay and they'll have to sign a 3 year contract at $35.00 a month just to get it activated.

Reply to
Frank Olson

No, the reason is there are so many panels out there from a million+ installed base and Brinks apparently hasn't asked Ebay to remove their panels like ADT did

(Yes I know ADT panels are still on Ebay but not in the numbers they used to be)

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.