Moose/Sentol

RHC: Yes, I remember seeing on the news that local police in New Orleans were disarming citizens they found carrying firearms. I also remember reading stories of people almost randomly being shot along the highways while they were stuck in traffic, after being robbed. Chaotic scenarios like Katrina bring out the best and worst in people, and I think the cops probably honestly thought they were assisting the situation taking firearms that were being openly displayed, out of circulation. It was a bad time for all, and it's easy to find fault after the fact.

Personally, as a Canadian, I find it difficult to envisage a need to ever carry a concealed firearm. I know of no place in Canada - even the worst parts of Montreal, Toronto or Vancouver, where this would ever be necessary. One of the local Sherrifs I shoot with in Florida is always asking me why I don't apply for a CCW permit. I would never use a firearm under any circumstances against another person, so I don't see the need to ever have such a permit. He did say correctly though, that in travelling to Florida, if I am stopped by local cops along the way who don't happen to agree with the Safe Passage law in the US, a concealed weapon permit - even from out of state - would guarantee I could go on my way unimpeded (rather than having to spend the weekend in jail before the local judge throws the case out of court)

He may have a point there !! I guess I should have done so before since as of June of this year, Florida CCW's are no longer available to anyone from out of state.....

Traveling within Canada with firearms (especially restricted handguns) is SO difficult that permits are needed for every kind of movement, and this makes it pretty easy to know what permits are required. Requirements are clearly laid out in the law (other than in Quebec where they may or may not follow the Federal law...surprise, surprise !! ). Traveling within the US with firearms is so varied from state to state that it's almost impossible to guarantee yourself that you are always doing so legally. There are books available on the subject, it is so varied and complex !!!!

For example, even locked according to stringent Canadian standards on transportation of restricted weapons (trigger lock, barrel lock, two case locks, case locked to frame of the car, and concealed from view in the trunk), I still cannot travel through Chicago, New York City or Washington, DC. The only time I've ever been hassled is by one US Border Agent in New York who didn't know the law and refused to let me pass through because I wasn't law enforcement. One hour later with the assistance of the ATF in Virginia, they did let me through (with no apologies of course for holding me up needlessly, or because they obviously didn't know the law). Canadian Border Agents are always astounded when I cross with handguns; however, I usually bamboozle them with a huge binder full of permits, and after a cursory glance at them, they let me through....:)) They often use students at border crossing points during the summer months however, and since they don't know poop from paint about the gun laws, this always requires me to insist they send out their supervisor to clear the matter (Canadian society is absolutely paranoid about guns being smuggled in from the US.....)

It makes for some interesting times.....:))))

Reply to
tourman
Loading thread data ...

The reports of snipers and random violence were mostly fabricated as well as much of the news then

Reply to
mleuck

Get one in TX. We have a reciprocal agreement with many states for CCW permits and I think Florida is one.

For what it's worth, I don't carry either. I think it would get me into more trouble than actually save my life in the rare event I'm caught up in some crossfire.

There may or not be one in my vehicle, it just depends.

Reply to
G. Morgan

I have a document that I copied from the UN website probably about 15

- 18 years ago. It was written in 1967 and it is one scary thing to read. It is world wide gun confiscation by all governments where only the governments have firearms. The language is all couched in terms and ideas seemingly to promote peace and a one world government. But if you read it from the point of view of a world wide dictatorship, it all falls into place. If you're interested in seeing it, I'll try to find it and send it to you via E-mail, as a Word attachment. I've tried to find the document on their site since then and now it's gone. Really, really scary!

And then of course there are people like Ted Turner who has pledged and is donating a billion dollars to the UN to help promote gun control. Nowdays George Soros is putting lots of money into international anti gun organizations that disarmed Austrailia, to promote anti gun laws in the US.

I wonder if my wife would get into any trouble if she buried me with my firearms?

Reply to
Jim

Only if the guns she buried you with were loaded. :-)

Reply to
Frank Kurz

Definitely yes, I want to read it. I hope you find it.

Won't happen here. 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution...

A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, **the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.**

Not if she filed the proper permits is what it sounds like. :)

Reply to
G. Morgan

It wasn't 18 years ago, unless you were on the bleeding edge of technology. Mosaic, the first web browser was released in 1993. Very few people knew what the Internet was back then.

I bought OS/2 that year just so I could see the "real" web. Before that I was using Lynx, a text-based browser with a 14.4kbps dial-up SLIP connection (before PPP was invented).

Reply to
G. Morgan

Where the heck have YOU been? Brady law? Washington DC ban? Hello?

Reply to
mleuck

Brady law was amended, no more waiting period. The DC ban is befuddling. I guess since Washington DC is a "district" and not a State they can do whatever they want.

Reply to
G. Morgan

How long did it take to amend it? It should have never passed in the first place.

Washington DC cannot do whatever they want, you have restrictive gun laws there, in New York, and in Chicago, how does that jive with the

2nd amendment?
Reply to
mleuck

On win 3.1 you had to install wintrumpet to have a tcp-ip stack.. those were the good old days of the new communication era.. Before that we were running 300 bps modem on or bbs system... then came the

1200 bps modem..and after the 2400, that for most of us was the max a tel line could take..(well we were worng ;-) ) They came back with the 9600 bps, with 2 different system , one was from supra, the other from hayes.... gee.. brin g back really old memories..
Reply to
Petem

7 years? (guessing)

Also in California a handgun can not have a magazine that holds more than 8 rounds.

Yes, states do have regulations, but none ban gun ownership to people with a clean record.

I jives with the 2nd because all states allow gun ownership.

Reply to
G. Morgan

I posted the info on that disamament document, but I don't see it so I'll try it again just in case.

It actually wasn't from the UN it was from the Department of State. Gun owners talk about the "rights" that the Second Amendment guarantees, yet our own government puts out a document outlining the systematic disarming of everyone.

Once I had the document number I Googled it and here's one of the websites.

formatting link

Reply to
Jim

I think that document was written to cool down cold-war tension, not disarm US private citizens. But it is ambiguous, and can be taken that way by some folks.

Here is the original (the other one is slightly altered):

formatting link
The Electronic Research Collection (ERC) is a partnership between the United States Department of State and the Federal Depository Library at the Richard J. Daley Library, University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC).

See also:

USC TITLE 22 > CHAPTER 35

CHAPTER 35?ARMS CONTROL AND DISARMAMENT

formatting link

Reply to
G. Morgan

RHC: This UN mandate for disarming is always referred to when the anti- gunners up here talk. They don't mention it very often except during those rare moments when they are honest and candid about their long term goals.

I wouldn't be too smug about your 2nd Amendment rights. US legislators can take advantage of your complacency and pass so many local, and State ordinances that they achieve the same thing through a multitude of back doors. I've spend 40 years in and out of this issue up here, at all levels of government (including right up to the Prime Minister), and believe me, they will do ANYTHING they can to disarm the public in any and every way they can. Up here, the NRA is seen as something akin to the "epitome of evil" due to the anti-gunners lies and mis-information. While they are definately stident in their approach, that is exactly what is needed if you wish to retain your freedoms vis a vis ownership of firearms. The anti gunners up here are always saying the NRA contribute money to our cause, which is nonsense of course, because they would lose their tax free status if they did. However, the truth in the discussion of this issue is the first thing that goes....

We will always see this issue up here for a couple of reasons. Our country is largely rural with heavy concentrations of people in large cities where most of the population lives. Increasingly, our population is heavy with immigrants from third world countries who come to Canada to find a peaceful life. Guns represent the very threat that they are fleeing from, and not knowing or caring about the many peaceful uses for firearms (which never have existed in their country), they will gladly go along with any restrictions no matter how unnecessary and dangerous they are.

So we have a lot to fear, and our "lobby" group (Canadian Shooting Sports Association) may be too little too late. But it is growing quickly, as more gun owners wake up to the threat to their way of life. However, you would do well to support your NRA if for no other reason than they are probably your best hope for the long term....

Reply to
tourman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.