Looking for info

I know it's not the right group but Alarm pepole are resorcefull. and I a member of the group so I thought Id ask.

I used to have two numbers to the two different cell companies.

It goes to the local cell tower and gives you a dial tone then you dial the cell number, of the long distance cell phone without long distance charges.

My daughters phone is from a Mayer land account.

If I dial 579-7626 and then 240-575-0060 it rings

Any clue as to the numbers

Cell 579-7626-(AT&T)

Rich

Reply to
Rich
Loading thread data ...

There are no "members" here -- only participants.

Hmm. Sounds illegal.

On the surface this is an attempt to learn how to steal long distance service. More likely it's someone posting the phone number of someone he doesn't like in hopes that others will make annoying calls to the intended victim.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Yep. Used to be some early PABx systems that if you went to the voice mail or auto attendant you could dial the logical extension number for one of the outgoing lines, pick up a dial tone, and then dial out. I do not know of any that are still in service that have not been upgraded to prevent this problem. There are still many logically layed out like that, but none that I am aware of that don't have a security feature which prevents sending tones or pulses from an incoming line. (The tones are actually filtered which prevents use of a hand held dialer) There are also some that promote it as a feature and provide the ability to set a security code to allow outward dialing from an incoming trunk line. Still, this sounds like hacking or (technically phreaking not hacking) for getting around long distance service charges.

If you are legitimate, just get her and yourself a couple cell phones on the same service. Most will not charge any long distance and air time is free between users on the same network with most cell providers.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I wondered what "phreaking" referred to.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Roaming number ?

Reply to
A.J.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.