Internet Explorer and Security Cam DVR Systems

I'm looking for an eight cam DVR system. I see that a lot of them run Linux in the DVR, but require Internet Explorer for remote PC access or uploading.

I run Linux on my computer, so I have Firefox and Chrome, but no Internet Explorer. I could jump through a few hoops and get IE running on Linux, but due to security implications I don't want to do that.

What functions do I lose by not using Internet Explorer?

Reply to
Tony Sivori
Loading thread data ...

All of them except just a live picture.

Most need an Active-X applet for full control. Also, let's say you install Windows in a Virtual Machine. DO NOT UPGRADE TO IE9. Most DVR's Active-x control will not run on IE9.

Why not just dual boot? I always have a standby OS (2 Windows installations) in case the main one gets borked and I don't have time to fix it.

Reply to
G. Morgan

I have Win SP Pro on my machine at work. The Linux DVRs refuse to show anything except the sign-in page using Firefox. I guess the Active X doesn't work with Firefox.

But IE 6, 7, and 8 work fine once you allow the Active X installation.

technomaNge

Reply to
technomaNge

That's as good as it gets for now. Sorry.

Reply to
G. Morgan

So I could do live monitoring on the LAN, but I couldn't set zones, motion detection, PTZ and the like without IE? Could I still do that directly through the DVR controls?

I dual booted for a few years after switching to Linux. But I haven't had Windows on my computer for several years. It would be inconvenient to reboot to an OS that I have no other use for, just to monitor or control the security cams.

If worse came to worst, I'd just get a low end Windows machine for use only with the security cams.

Reply to
Tony Sivori

Usually there is a 'mobile' page that just requires a common codec on the browser end.

What DVR brand/model are we talking about?

Reply to
G. Morgan

Zmodo PKD-DK8002

formatting link
I don't have a smart phone. So for now at least, the phone access would be useless to me.

Reply to
Tony Sivori

Don't expect too much from that setup.

Reply to
webmaster

Where can I get a better one for the same or less money?

If you - or anyone in alt.security.alarms - has for sale, or knows where I can get a better system for the same money, I'm all ears.

Reply to
Tony Sivori

Use the smart phone settings on your Linux desktop w/ Firefox.

In addition, this DVR supports Live View via Smart Phone & 3G Mobile with each of those systems below: a) iPhone? b) Google Android c) Blackberry? OS as of now: V4.7 d) Running Windows Mobile? Pro 5.0 & 6.1 Operating System e) Running Symbian Operating System: S60 3rd & S60 5th.

All it will be is a live view with buttons to change cameras (likely), I've never even heard of that brand.

Of course.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Seems I recall one of the DVRs I played with used JAVA as an alternative to ActiveX controls. Never tried it with FF/Mo, but... Now if I could just recall where, when, and what DVR,

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Thank you, I didn't realize that was possible.

Most of the similarly priced systems that I've look at online have very similar function and appearance. The biggest difference is the bundled cameras, and to a lesser extent the hard drive size.

All the embedded Linux DVRs use the dammed Active X.

My guess would be that the Chinese manufacturer will custom brand the product for anyone willing to buy a truckload.

I have to wonder who designed a product, that uses Linux for the embedded OS, but decided to make a Microsoft only user interface.

Reply to
Tony Sivori

The answer to that would seem to me to be ... that since Linux is known for not crashing and Microsoft is the interface that more people use and therefore familiar with. Why would someone want to learn a new inferface or operating system just so they could install a DVR?

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.