Installers Wanted

How do you hire and screen without wasting all your working time talking to idiots who want a paycheck without working?

Last time I did a "by appointment only." This allowed me to do some prescreening on the phone. Then I set appointments to fill out an application for about a dozen guys. Two actually showed up. One actually completed the application.

I think a lot of the callers were just looking for a name to put on their DES unemployment form.

Reply to
Bob La Londe
Loading thread data ...

You don't, at least properly anyway.

Yep!

Then I set appointments to fill out an

Sounds like you were hiring here in S. Florida.

If you don't want to waste your time, tell them in the telephone prescreening to bring their meter to the interview. Go ahead and make your regular business appointments for that day because no one will show up for the job interview. No time wasted waiting for no shows. Problem resolved! :o]

Reply to
Bob Worthy

Contact a local trade school and hire some graduates. Granted they don't know their ass from a hole in the ground about real life applications but you'll never have to deal with bad installing habits. They will only know your way of doing things, and they are eager to learn.

Bob La L> How do you hire and screen without wasting all your working time talking to

Reply to
Everywhere Man

Ask them about remote car starters?

Last time I did a "by appointment only." This allowed me to do some prescreening on the phone. Then I set appointments to fill out an application for about a dozen guys. Two actually showed up. One actually completed the application.

I think a lot of the callers were just looking for a name to put on their DES unemployment form.

Reply to
mikey

Spend a little money and get a Monster.com employer account. You can pre-screen resumes first, then contact the ones that look promising.

-G

Reply to
G. Morgan

A basic Monster listing is cheaper than a 10 day listing in the local paper. Now if my lisitng would show up in any of the searches, and if monster didn't try to divert possible applicants by making them refuse advertisements that look like applications 1st.

Ah, well. I'll see if my 2 bills at Monster produces any better than the 3 bills I just spent on the local paper.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Never had much success advertising. Best was to ask the guys working for me if they knew any guys wanting to jump ship from other alarmcos.

| >

| > -- | > Bob La Londe | > Fishing Arizona & The Colorado River | > Fishing Forums & Contests | >

formatting link
| >

| >

| >

| > -- | > Posted via a free Usenet account from

formatting link
| >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Reply to
Nick Lawrence

This might be to obvious but did you put up a notice at the distributors in your area?

Reply to
Jim

Nick! You're alive! What's going on buddy? LTNS. You and those other two California geriatric alarm installers should come out here for ISC East.

Nick Lawrence wrote:

Reply to
Everywhere Man

There are no distributors in my area. There are a couple electrical distributors, but no low voltage distributors.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Why don't *you* search for resumes on the Monster board and call the potential employees? Everytime I update my resume I get a dozen or so calls from employers looking for help.

Make sure your ad has plenty of good keywords too.

-G

Reply to
G. Morgan

Well then you'll just have to move to where there's people. Ya can't have it both ways..... ya know. You'll just have to work alone if you want to keep living in the boondocks.

Reply to
Jim

Heh, heh, heh... :^)

Reply to
robertlbass

Not really what you're looking for, but... when a friend worked once managing a fancier restaurant in Whistler, BC (ski-resort town), he had a simple hiring process for kitchen workers: he simply asked them, "Skier or snowboarder?" Skiers got hired - boarders didn't. The latter, he explained, were almost always the part-timer burnouts just looking to work as little as they could to get enough money to put a roof over their heads and buy their lift tickets for a few monhts. :)

Reply to
Matt Ion

What's so funny Fat Ass?

Reply to
G. Morgan

The distributors here won't put up job postings. If my technician is getting parts and leaves because of a posting for another company, I would be pretty pissed. Their policy keeps them from getting in the middle of these type events.... and I have to agree!

Reply to
Allan Waghalter

I guess.

It never bothered me when I've seen it.

I guess some people would be.

Reply to
Jim

Has anyone come up with a basic knowledge test? Something simple like "identify the initiating circuit in this diagram"? I've been contemplating something like that, but I can't decide on how hard to make the questions...

Reply to
Michael

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.