How to locate 22/4 jacketed buried in wall.

Drywallers buried my quad cable; probably sandwiched between drywall and stud. Wall is now painted, over a skim coat of plaster.

I can find the stud, and I know approximately where the wire is; however I'd like to invest in some RF equipment to more accurately pinpoint the exact spot.

Any suggestions for a good appropriate tool?

Reply to
chasbo
Loading thread data ...

formatting link

Reply to
alarman

chasbo,

Step One -- Shoot the drywaller in the foot so he won't think about doing it again.

Step Two -- Get a Toner/Probe as suggested by "alarman".

Step Three -- Find it.

Step Four -- If it can't be located because it is too deep then take any siren driver connect to other end of wire add battery and use above probe to locate. It will be very very loud and much easier to find.

Good luck.

Les

Reply to
ABLE_1

I like #5. I may just make up a small project box unit for this sort of thing. Great idea to put a "high power" tone generator on the line. It would probably work as the signal source for a underground cable too. Set it up with a switch to select solid tone or warble tone. Now to test battery life and see how small a (battery/battery set) would actually be useful for this.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Do yourself a favor and find one with the 200FP or 200GX Probe. Much better filtering of 60Hz and Gain.

alarman wrote:

Reply to
secure15

Good plan.

When you connect the signal generator, hook one lead to the wire, and the other to an earth ground.

It will be plenty loud then.

Alternate idea: tie the drywaller up and force him to watch while you rip the walls apart to find the wire... then lock him in the house until he repairs the wall.

Reply to
Matt Ion

snipped-for-privacy@shore.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

12 oz. ball pein hammer. sheet rockers can patch their mistake.
Reply to
motley me

I think I would rather spend jail time for discharging a firearm, causing bodily harm, medical bills, than for kidnapping, false imprisonment, mental distress.

But to each his own.......................... I digress.

Reply to
ABLE_1

What do you use for your Ground? In CA most of the new homes have plastic pipe... Have you tried 25ft of wire as a counterpoise?

Reply to
Russell Brill

How about an electrical outlet?

Reply to
allucan8

Here's my favorite "Dry-Wall Adjustment Tool & Wire Finder"

formatting link

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Any convenient gang box will do - assuming the place is wired to code, they should all be grounded. Back out a cover-plate screw and clip on to that.

Reply to
Matt Ion

Use a good heavy duty truck bumper attached to a heavy duty truck. Dive the truck into the wall in question. Repeat until the wire becomes visible.

Reply to
Just Looking

Too complicated. Why not just plain old arson?

Reply to
Just Looking

"Crash Gordon" wrote in news:4761c56f$0$506$ snipped-for-privacy@news.qwest.net:

This one's lighter

formatting link

Reply to
motley me

"alarman" wrote in news:4761eca4$0$31769$88260bb3 @free.teranews.com:

Yep, I am. I try to make it easy for them to locate the wires. Nail in stud at motion location with wire wrapped around it, 1/2 inch conduit sticking out at location, put in gang boxes at locations where approiate, but every once in a while you run up on a sorry, lazy ass dry wall hanger who will not put the wires through.

I have been to them where the electricians have had multiple boxes covered up. These are the ones who need to have to make another trip.

Reply to
motley me

Bob,

A small warning. Make sure that the wire is open before connecting the driver and walking to the other end to find the buried wire. Because if you don't you will not be ABLE to find the tone. This will be due to the driver smoking a bit.

I have to rebuild mine because of this little whoops. I think the next one will have a 10ohm load resistor built in, but I don't know how much that will decrease the output. Must experiment a little on this.

So all should be aware before actually making MY type of tone generator.

Good luck and have a good weekend.

Les

Reply to
ABLE_1

I was talking about this very issue today with one of my guys, and we figured a low current auto resetting circuit breaker would be just the ticket. Then we could kill it by shorting it just like with a regular tone generator.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Bob,

Let me know what the specs are on the CB and I will put it in mine when I rebuild it. I should have known better (well I did but remembered a little late).

Thanks,

Les

Reply to
ABLE_1

On larger project I used to take digital pictures of the wire ends before the insulation went in.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.