House 110V smoke

Can I add a relay to the yellow wire of my house hold 110 V old smoke detector? I want to run a horn outside.

Reply to
Rich
Loading thread data ...

That depends on your smoke. The relay must be compatible with it. Some manufacturers provide the relay as an option, others actually incorporate it in a relay based detector that will interconnect with your existing smokes. What's the make and model number of the smokes in your home?

Reply to
FIRETEK

That yellow wire is almsot certainly the "interconnect" wire. I suppose you could rig something up to ring a bell outside.

Remember you're dealing with 120vac. If you need to ask how to rig something up, you probably don't have the expereince to safely work on

120vac.

Call an electrican.

Regards,

bill

FIRETEK (change-the-ch-to-k) wrote:

Reply to
jewellfish

I have to place a meter across the yellow and the natural, do you thing the output is 120 AC. even with battery back up I don't think so.

I know an electrician.

Reply to
Rich

Call him. js

Reply to
alarman

No its not 110, if you connect anything to this wire it must be extremely low current. If you do this wrong it will disable the sound in all your smoke detectors "except the one where the fire is".

James

Reply to
J Barnes

You must use the manufacturer's approved relay for any interconnection to your household smoke alarms. This relay is most likely also UL Listed for the purpose of providing an output from those specific interconnected smoke alarms. Otherwise you'll have to try and source a relay based detector that's compatible with your existing smoke alarms. DO NOT "Mickey Mouse" or "jury rig" something you think "might work".

Reply to
FIRETEK

LOL, lots of electricians would have issues with this. No, not be offended, but just not understand how to do it.

Call a service electrician.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

simple to do right,

just add another 110v smoke detector where it can be heard outside.

bb

Reply to
bb

Yah...just hang it out the nearest window on a piece of Romex.

| >

| >

| simple to do right, | | just add another 110v smoke detector where it can be heard outside. | | bb

Reply to
Crash Gordon

The yellow or "tandem" wire is used to place other detectors in the house (same model number) in alarm and can not be used to drive a relay. Most tandem outputs are from 3-6 vdc and not 120vac... remember, this must also function while running off the 9 volt battery.

If the detectors have auxilliary alarm contacts or a auxilliary relay option, use them instead. However, ALL detector contacts or relays in the house must be used in parellel because they do not transfer when receiving an alarm via the tandem connection.

Rick P.

Reply to
RickP

That's not universally true. I know of at least one smoke alarm family where the "tandem wire" _isn't_ "low voltage". I imagine that because the don't have battery backup, they can't be used in many jurisdictions in the US, though.

Boy are you ever wrong. The "tandem connection" is used by the listed relay as well.

formatting link

Reply to
FIRETEK

Don't forget to wrap it in plastic first. Seal the end with a "dab of RTV". ;)

Reply to
FIRETEK

Well, since the gentleman asking the original question says his detector has battery backup, the tandum output must be low voltage to meet the interconnectivity requirement.

Okay, you've peaked my interest - I've never seen this device before.

BUT, this Firex detector and the #499 accessory relay you refer to are both 120vac devices and have no battery backup capability, which as you stated, can't be used in many jurisdictions today.

I'm seeing some info on the web about a Firex #498 relay which appears to have the capability of being wired off a DC operated detector tandem connection. It's not on their website however and may have been discontinued.

Thanks for the update...

Rick P.

Reply to
RickP

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.