From Alarm to centeral station

As a vender I have three types of panels going to my central station. My central station recently made changes.

The Contact Id panels go in, in seconds. The 4+2 take 90 - 120 seconds from alarm to the printing of the alarm at the central station. What is the industry standard of completion. We feel the alarm card at the central station was altered were checking in to this. Rich.

Reply to
Rich
Loading thread data ...

4+2 is a very slow format made even worse by multiple signals
Reply to
Mark Leuck

The problem with that is it will make many other accounts slower if they are using a different format than 4+2

Reply to
Mark Leuck

good post....

a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@news.supernews.com...

Reply to
petem

Alarm reporting times very but generally Contact ID and SIA are very fast, around 5 seconds reporting time. 3X1 and 4X2 pulse formats are slower, usually around 12-18 seconds.

90 - 120 seconds for a pulse format seems too long. I would put my butt set on the line and listen in to see what is taking so long.

The receiver should answer the call in the first 3 rings. A handshake should be sent to the panel as soon as the receiver answers. This is where you might be having a problem. Today's newer receivers monitor a wide range of formats. They may have to send a series of handshakes until your panel hears one it likes.

After your panel hears the handshake it should send its data in a few seconds. The receiver will then send a kissoff and the communication is done.

If you hear a long series of handshakes this may only occur on the first transmission. We have a Surgard System III receiver, it will send a series of handshakes that may take a while on the first transmission. However, when the panel responds, the receiver remembers the handshake the panel liked and answers with that handshake the next time that panel calls. This is accomplished with ANI (automatic number identification) similar to caller ID.

In any case, you need to find where the problem is. If your central station does not have a receiver like the System III that can remember the handshake you may need to have them change the handshake order.

Feel free to contact me if you need any assistance in resolving this issue, I will do anything I can to help you.

Ron Wies Monitoring America Alarm Co-Op

Reply to
rwies

As another gentleman suggested, check the line with your butt set. It's possible that the line assigned to handle 4+2 is overloaded, forcing your systems to dial in, hang up due to a busy signal and then redial to get through. If this is the case, look for another CS immediately.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Rich... If you wish to have a definate solution, please inform of your receiver type, all menu settings and what percentage of panels is using what protocol. Also send information as to Accounts/number of telco lines. if you could send a structural drawing of the present situation this would also help.

After you send this information I will simulate a similiar situation over here and tell you what you must do exactly.

If you are using an automation software please inform of the type and version as well. Send as much no-critical information so I can set up the same system over here. I have all receivers produced up to date so I can set up your situation very easily.

Thanks and good luck.

Reply to
Okitoki

Depending upon the number of zones reported, which may be two or three and depending upon how many times each of those zones trip before the panel's swinger shutdown stops them and if each of those zones then sends a restore signal, and then the sub turns the panel off and it also sends a cancel and/or opening after alarm report, it can easily take several minutes. By far, the SIA or contact id formats will be much faster.

Most receivers will shut down the transmission after 16 rounds so you will at least get a printout of the account # and what has happenend up to that point because those slow 4/2 formats can take several minutes if somebody is walking around tripping a bunch of zones. Most panels will keep updating and stay online while sending 4/2 while the contact id or SIA signals usually get finished and hangup and then call back again.

Many of those national companies only send an alarm report and no restore reports so the phone line gets clear so they can call the sub to find out what has happenend. If nobody is home its not very helpful.

Reply to
<thesatguy1

As compared to adding your own phone line and line card? You are fast loosing any credibility **you** thought you had here.

The poster should talk to their central station about problem and what options are available before transfering their accounts to another central. That would be vertually the same as putting it on another line card and phone line. Robert must think a different building will make the problem go away but then again he has been out of touch with the security world for some time. He probably didn't have the options with his one line, one receiver ***modest*** central station back in where ever it was.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

Nice generous offer!

Reply to
Bob Worthy

John Wayne?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Reply to
<thesatguy1

You would need to look at several other things first such as what time are the panels getting busy signals... 3:15am or 5:00am or 5:00pm or 9:00pm or

11:00pm or midnight etc. Every morning at 5am I have 100 customers all try to open at exactly the same time - at 4:30pm those same 100 customers will all try to close at the same time. At certain times of the day it is likely that panels may get a busy signal on the first call but they'll get through on the second call or rollover to another line and get through. It's not a big problem. On the other hand, if it 3:00am and panels are getting a busy signal while things are quiet there may be a problem that needs looking into. I have 5 receivers and 5 lines - they are all busy only a couple times a day; the rest of the time one or two receivers will handle all the calls. I don't need more receivers or more lines. Openings and closing are directed to specific lines that keeps the other three lines available. We just saw a number of power failures from Rita and a jillion low battery signals but that didn't come close to maxing out my 5 lines. At 5am when everyone tries to open at the same time I often have a screen full of alarms that have to be looked at one at a time and that slows things down a tad but adding extra receivers and lines won't fix that.

Reply to
<thesatguy1

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.