Electric Lock choice

We usually use electric strikes when installing electric door locks in a commercial installation. We have an upcoming job that has a number of double doors, that meet in the middle of the 6' door opening, without a center jamb. Therefore, I guess my choices are magnetic locks, or a Bolt type lock. Our experiences with the Bolt type lock is that it takes a long time for the installation (alighment problems). Is it reasonable to assume that for this type job a magnetic lock is the better choice? I also understand that if any electric lock is used during business hours, that the door must have an auto Passive unlock device, and also a "Push to exit" button, to break the circuit. Any comments on this will be most appreciated.

Reply to
bhnjr
Loading thread data ...

....and when you bid it...double what you think it will take to install. The double top maglock are tricky to install. Also you may have to tie into the fire system so they will release on fire.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Depends on the jurisdiction you are in with the mag locks. Here it will be a frosty day in hell before you can get a permit for one. There are door strikes you can get to go into the top of the door frame. We use them on double glass doors and they usually work well. Rutherford makes em(cant think of part #) but havnt had an issue in years. As for the exit there has to be panic hardware(here at least) that release's the door if held for 15 seconds.

hope it helps devin

Reply to
Devin

Will look at the Rutherford site, to gain some insite on this top mount lock. Just a curiousity -- why are the mag locks not accepted in your area? Does the Rutherford lock seem to be the best choice? Again, thanks for your input (yours & Crash Gordon)

Reply to
bhnjr

Alot of it has to with companies not installing them properly and people getting caught in a fire. If they dont release during a fire or panic situation, you are going to have deaths. So the city here will rarely allow them to be installed anymore. Older ones are "grandfathered" and can still be used. lots of reasons they wont allow it, and all the red tape to get one isnt worth it.

Rutherford has a decent warranty and are solid products. Von Duprin is another we use often, but mainly for heavier commercial installs.

Reply to
Devin

Thanks again; could not find anything on the Rutherford site, specifically for a double door: is it a bolt type lock, or a strike type?

Reply to
bhnjr

Aside from fire code issues others have , maglocks are, by design, fail safe devices. That means that if power to the maglock is lost, the door will no longer be locked. Unless steps are taken to ensure power cannot be disrupted to the maglock, they really aren't suitable for exterior door or high security use. Typical power supplies use battery backup that can be used for a few hours. We typically put all mags on UPS/ generator power and also monitor the power going to the mags with an alarm contact at will alert the end-user if power fails. Depending on your location, maglocks will need to be interconnected to the building fire alarm and you will have to supply emergency egress that can be operated with no prior knowledge. A REX motion detector and 2" illuminated timed REX button are accepted around here for unsecured egress. For secured agress, you'd need a touch sense bar with delayed opening that conforms to NFPA101. It amazes me that you need a license in my state to put in a residential burglar alarm, but anybody can do access control in a public building and put hundreds of lives at risk with no regulation at all.

J.

Reply to
J. Sloud

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.