Service Electric in Fleetwood, Pennsylvania?

Service electric is a family owned Cable TV provider in certain areas of Berks County and a few others. My question is, does anyone have their cable modem service? They outsource to PenTeleData.net/Prolog and the company I work for uses them as the ISP. So far ptd.net is pretty good. Some parts of Service Electric's service area is that lousy ONE way cable modem. Arg... What is this? 1995? From what I understand my soon to be service area is two way. My questions is, does anyone have any experience with this company? I'm just looking for general information on them and their cable modem service. I visited their website and sent out an email asking for information on the specific address where I'll be moving to (hopefully). Another question is... what is DOCSIS? Is that the authentication protocol cable modems use to get access to the network? Will all cable modems today work on all cable modem networks? Thanks!

Reply to
Justin
Loading thread data ...

Data Over Cable System Interface Specification is a standard developed by the cable industry that spells out the details for how cable modems communicate with and are controlled by the internet equipment in the cable operator's head end. In theory, any DOCSIS certified cable modem should work with any DOCSIS certified headend equipment. In reality, there have been a few instances of compatibility problems between different manufacturers. You should find out if your cable company has a list of supported modems.

Reply to
Mike Rush

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.