Central Station Construction

What types of buildings are acceptable for a UL Central Station? I have a copy of the UL spec, but it says things like "the roof is required to be a class A" with no other explaination. What is a class A roof? I know a block building with a gravel roof is acceptable but I am wondering what other construction types are?

Reply to
Loading thread data ...

Thanks for the reply, we are not ready to go full blown UL due to not having enough accounts to truly support it. But we are shopping for a bigger building and I would like to get one that can be easily "transformed" into a UL building.


Reply to

Good-luck on your project James...

If this would help, please note the little hand-book we have on setting up Central Stations:

formatting link
It would give a basic idea of how to setup the interior of the Central Monitoring Station.

Good luck once again.

Reply to

There's a UL standard that defines Class A, B, and C fire-resistive roofs, UL 790. But you don't need to become a roofing expert to build a central station. If you're building a building, just tell your architect. If you're buying one, get a roofing contractor to give you a letter. Spanish tiles and slate roofs can provide Class A protection, for example, but what's underneath the tiles is also important. Basically, Class A means it doesn't burn easily, and can resist a severe fire exposure. Think in terms of someone throwing a Molotov cocktail onto the roof of your building, or a wildfire surrounding the building.

If you have a copy of UL 827, you have the construction specs for the walls and ceiling, and the physical security requirements. One option that often works is an upper floor in a multi-story office building, since newer tall buildings are built with fire-resistive construction. However, there are special problems with multi-tenant buildings. Protection of the central station phone lines, emergency power, and a fire alarm system for the entire building are points to remember.

Good luck with your project.

- badenov

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

You can get listed as a UUFX and you don't need any of that stuff. You need

2 people there all the time, standby power and the doors must lock but thats about it.

Then when you have enough accounts you can invest in a new building.

Or you can simply build four walls inside of your current space using concrete blocks and pour a concrete ceiling for it. Then install heavy steel doors and a couple of tv cameras. You can build it in the corner of a larger space. Kinda like a large fallout shelter for those of you who are old enough to know what a fallout shelter is.

BTW, a UUFX is a vigilante headquarters.

Reply to

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.